Possible new bike

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by raphael, Oct 14, 2024.

1. raphael

raphael Elite Member

Afternoon,

I’ve been offered a bike that I’m seriously thinking about, the bikes a 21 plate sp and in brand spanking new condition as has 0 miles on it.
    The bloke bought it, put it on a stand and in a temperature controlled man cave just to look at it.
    I don’t agree with this type of thing as like to put big miles on them generally and can’t be arsed with the running in part but I’m still intrigued with it as would give me 3 years free riding touring.

the question is…. Would you or wouldn’t you?

Attached Files:

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

If you want it and can afford it then why not?

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. raphael

raphael Elite Member

It’s just the sitting doing nothing for 3 years that’s bugging me mate, would there be some sort of re commissions on top of the running in? Could I just buy it and rag it without damage?

4. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

3 years isn't that long but I know what you mean. I wouldn't rag it from day 1, probably crank it over without fuel to get fluids moving, then just start it and let it idle until the fans kicked it. Do that from cold a couple of times and then just ride it according to the recommended revs for at least a couple of rides.

But I'm not an engineer so could be 100% wrong!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  5. dgr

dgr Active Member

They are great bikes, if a little less comfortable than previous generations. The gearing on the 20-21 versions was way too long for the road, but you can sort that with sprocket changes. As for standing for 3 years, I doubt you'll have any problems. I suspect there are a few people on here that don't think twice about starting their bikes in the Spring having not used them for 6 months. If you're worried, you could turn the engine over by hand before starting it properly. Maybe even remove the plugs and put a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder beforehand, but I'd be inclined to risk it. Still, as with @Barstewardsquad, I'm no engineer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Saqib

Saqib Active Member

My bike covered 300 miles, then sat in a garage for 3 years. (2017 FireBlade).

Honestly, it ran like a dream. No issues at all.

If it runs and starts okay, I say go for it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  7. NS400R

NS400R Elite Member

If the price is right and you reckon you can put up with the riding position, why not. Just start it and run it in. 600 miles goes by really quickly. I’d be tempted to replace the brake fluid.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1