Power Commander V failure and Single Seat Cover rub

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Jamiestrada, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

Not having a good week :(

Hi there I have been running a PCV on my 2010 cbr1000rr for 3 months, whilst riding the bike it suddenly dropped a cylinder, I had a complete loss of power with thick white smoke exiting the exhaust.

I pulled over stopped and switched off the engine, I tried to restart the bike but the bike would not start at all ?

I pushed the bike to the nearest petrol station (1.5 miles) where I attempted to start it one more time with the same result, it would not start.

I then removed the dynojet PCV from the OE harness to see if the PCV was the problem, the bike started first time with the PCV removed.

I went to the honda dealer I bought it from and they want to test the bike for fault codes etc, and fit the now removed PCV to see if the problem is still there. So its with them tommorow.

Has anyone else had problems at all with there PCV?

Also they are looking at the seat cowl as the single seat cover is rubbing the paint of the rear seat unit, anyone else had this.

Not having a good week, sick of problems :suicide:

2. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Zeepony i think has had his set unit and cowl replaced twice under warranty for them rubbing

Never heard of the power commander problem thou and funny how it just suddenly happened .. It will be interesting to find out the course of the fault

3. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

hi jamie, a bit different i know but i had a tuning box on my diesel car and it flew! but fault codes soon kept comming up , the turbo went so off it came and 3yrs later all is good so to me there not worth it. imho i know lads will swear by them and thats fine, but dont think ill go down that route . oh by the way my seat hump has rubbed as well!

4. Bat Fastard

Bat Fastard Active Member

Hi,

Cant comment on a PC V but had two failures on a PC3 usb.

Had one fitted to my Duc 999s. First one packed up, made the bike drop onto one cylinder. Removed it and the bike was perfect again. Checked all I could and sent the unit back to Dyno jet as it was in warranty. They sent me a new one, so fitted that. Few months later it did the same thing but left me stranded. Removed it by the road side and Bingo, bike fired up and was perfect once more.

It was out of warranty by then so in the bin and moved on.

Bats.

5. Jamiestrada

I have riden the bike for 80 miles now with it removed, dealer did not have a spot free untill today, and I have had no more problems temps are fine, no oil usage, no fueling problems with the PCV removed.

I am 100% sure it is the PCV at fault.

6. Jamiestrada

I agree mate, I have had nothing but problems since fitting this unit, It has played up before at cadwell park so I removed it there, but honda tested the bike with it refitted and found nothing.

I am trying for a refund as I dont fancy pushing the bike for miles again or being stranded in the middle of nowhere

7. bod

bod Active Member

my seat cover is rubbing the paint off . i just obtained some self adhesive foam from work (wink wink ) to try and alieviate the problem

8. Jamiestrada

I have done the same :)

The dealer has said there where two black rubbers missing from the front of the seat unit, thats why it was rubbing, unsure when they go lost or if they where there in the first place, but sorted now will keep an eye on it and see how it goes

9. si1000repsol

si1000repsol Well-Known Member

My seat cowl rubs. I went to my dealer and they said theres nothing they can do!

10. gixerthou

gixerthou Active Member

Dont know about the PCV

but i have had seat covers rub on both a 98 and 08 blades

i just think they dont sit the same as the actual padded seats

11. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

Yes, seat cowls rub, now had 3 replaced.

On the PCV, i've installed one on my bike, all dynoed and set up as it should be by a very reputable company... but... it just doesnt seem right. It feels a bit sharper on throttle response, but it also seems to have messed other areas up a bit. For example, on down shifts, blipping the throttle seems a bit sluggish and fatty. Also since its been fitted i get much bigger flames out the back from unburnt fuel... its just a bit wilder and less predictable.

On a recent track day when running it hard, it seems fine and rapid, but lay off the gas a bit and its odd...

I've got a switch on mine so for road riding i turn it off - I know, i know, what a wast or whatever - but it also dropped my tank range to 110 miles as opposed to 130 on stock.

Anyway, i'm not that convinced, and for a minimal gain (171hp at the rear wheel), i dunno if its really worth the hassle either. Dunno - my jury is out on this one.

12. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Its not been smooth running the mods on your bike mate, I am keen to get a good look at it asap mate, next time we should plug it in and take a look at whats going on, if need be then I will strip it just for the hell of it to get it good. :)

Posted on my HTC Sensation with Tapatalk

13. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

Oh bugger i'm being to wonder about the PCV now, I didn't realise there are doubts over their reliability!

14. fisher

fisher Active Member

Zeepony, I have had exactly the same issues, I have had Power commanders installed on three bikes [same result] all my mates have fitted commanders on their bikes at one time or another and all have used more fuel and had flames coming out the rear end. !! resulting in major fuel loss compaired to standard.

I'm not here to slag off commanders but unless my bike was running like a pig I will never buy one again [or my mates] for the same reasons you have mentioned.

I hear very good things about the Baazar system though.

15. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Only the map can cause those symptoms.
    The Bazzaz unit performs the same function and is also dependant on a fuel map.

#15 JM1, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  16. Jamiestrada

*UPDATE*

Well I have received a brand new unit from DynoJet UK and its all fitted again.

I think there was a problem with the last one from the start as I never felt it made much of a difference and had problems at cadwell park with misfiring etc before it finally gave up the ghost on a ride out.

The new one is instantly better, I can feel a real differance, it seems much smoother and low down grunt is vastly improved.

I am still not happy the last one failed but I am much more impressed with the performance level offered by this unit and I am going to get the bike custom mapped next month to make sure I am getting the full benifit from the unit.

I think I was very unlucky to have a dodgy unit, and I would not put anyone off getting a PCV :) and DJ UK have been very good with there customer care and tech support

17. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I am looking at the PC and Bazzaz and thinking I may go for the Bazzaz. looks bloody good product

Bazzaz.net - Bazzaz

18. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

All good then mate.. :) Tbh PCV, Bazzaz, etc etc they all do one simple task let you correct the AFR to match the motors needs or your requirements, is one better than the other? Spec wise the PCV offers fairly fine adjustment over the ECU but the amount of correction could be infinite! I know for example when you view the raw code on say a Ducati ECU they can have any number of throttle positions or RPM brakes its up to the opp to settle for what works and whats possible in a days work you could keep adding correction for each 10rpm if you wanted and have over 100 throttle positions. ECU's now often have high speed 32bit cpu's and acquire data from more than one sensor, crank, cams and so on.. getting a good aftermarket unit to correct the AFR at such high speed is not an easy task imo as after all none of us can look at whats going on in real time and if you think the timings are thousandths of a second even with high speed scopes its still not easy to see if they are doing what they are sold to do well... I think most of the units are crude at what they do but cost wise are priced well when you look at high end engine management.. :)