Question on Old paper driving licence.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Remal, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

My old dear still has the old type paper licence. She is happy to keep this and see's no reason to change and get ripped off with having to renew your photcard every 10 years and get charged to do so

but she asked me if they are still legal as someone told her they are not legal anymore and you can get fined.

I have not found anything online and thought I would ask

2. T.C

T.C Elite Member

Yes it is still legal until she reaches 70 and then she will have no option but to change for a photo licence.

There are a lot of people out there who still prefer what is called the part 3 licence, and just because all new licences are photocard does not invalidate the old paper licence.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

#3 SimonRR, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

They have now brought out a new style photo card too

5. T.C

T.C Elite Member

Well that is interesting because I have not seen any proposed changes in the regulations which are required to make the old paper licence invalid, and it is usually very difficult to impose these new regs retrospectively. The photo licence was intended for new licence holders with the option for holders of the old paper licence to change over if they wished.

If the DVLA do start trying to fine drivers for not changing and claiming that their old licence is invalid, I can see a lot of interesting court dates pending in the future.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Thanks TC for the feedback and I will say to my mum fight if she needs to keep her paper licence if she is every asked to change and now pay for a photo licence