Quiting Smoking

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by RepsolSam, Oct 26, 2015.

1. RepsolSam

RepsolSam Well-Known Member

2. T.C

T.C Elite Member

Best of luck. :):):) I gave up 6 months ago after 35+ years. I was fortunate in that I had no cravings and still have no cravings, but I think my problems with heart failure may have helped me there.

But I know what you mean about feeling better without the cigs.

3. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

As you know its overcoming the habit thats the hardest bit. I gave up in 2006 and have not even touched one since. I was out in Austria a few weeks back, we went out on the piss and over there people are still smoking in bars I found it almost unbearable and my clothes stank the next day.

4. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

I'm not a smoker and I have no problem with those that are, just thought I would get that out of the way. My Daughter is a community nurse and is now training to become a district nurse case manager and I have been proof reading her research on the effects of smoking on health and life expectancy, wow guys give it up!!

Good luck mate

5. neil.marsh.758

neil.marsh.758 New Member

I've smoked for over 30yrs. Only decided to quit when I was on holiday in Cyprus. It worked out that I could buy 200 cheaper over their than 100 over here. The Mrs said to me pack in and buy yourself a new bike. 20 fags a day 7 days a week would pay for it. I didn't need telling twice and bought the BSB replica. The only rule is that if I start again I have to sell the bike!!!. I've not been near a fag for 5 months and don't miss it as all I've got to do is look at my bike in the garage..

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Great deal perhaps I should start so that I can stop

• Like Like x 3
  7. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Something to bare in mind if still struggling with leg (and hopefully help you quit)
    I was told by the doctor that while smoking your bones do not heal properly and take a lot longer to heal.

8. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Did that same doctor go out for a fag in their Break ;) never fails to amaze me how many docs and nurses smoke? strange for that job. but anyway good luck mate, i stopped 12 years ago... and now afford motorbiking, so worth it :D

9. RepsolSam

Yep..bones dont heal when smoking..

Got this cool app..

Says, 1 day, 15 hours, 9 mins and something seconds - been smoke free..

Went home yesterday, spent about 30mins with the wife and kids, and thought it would be best if i retire to the bed room for the night... lol

This cool app also tells me to treat myself to something...lol...so buying a tail tidy for my Repsol.. lol..

feeling somewhat better, still thinking about smoking allot..but i guess they are just anchors - habits needs to be replaced with something else..

10. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Smoked for 25 years with several abortive attempts to kick the habit and then a friend of mine told me to read Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking.

Started reading it on the 4th of March 2013, finished it on the 6th. Binned the remaining ciggies I had. Haven't wanted one since then.

11. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

You're making it too hard :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs...TF8&qid=1445961237&sr=8-1&keywords=allen+carr

12. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

I smoked for about ten years but decided to give up the moment my first son was born and didn't miss it one bit, no cravings, no more bad tempered than normal, just stopped and afterwards thought what a doddle that was. Its unfortunate that I started again some fourteen odd years later and am still smoking now. I hate the smell and I guess one day something will give me that nudge I need to pack it in again, I think you need a real reason and not just because.......

13. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Now this is a bit sombre but last year one of my chaps at work died from lung cancer at 54, he was a very heavy smoker, I'm told he would smoke 3 in his 15 minute tea break. He once said that he enjoys smoking and we all have to die of something etc. He came to my office to tell me he wouldn't be coming back to work because he had been given a couple of months, what he said next left me with respect for him, he said he hadn't long to live but doesn't regret smoking, he enjoyed it, it was part of who he was and while he would prefer not to die he doesn't regret smoking.
    Respect
    I do not smoke and as I said before, its up to the individual, as long as you are happy and accept the risk its your life choice, Isn't riding a sports bike a needless risk too and I bet everyone on this forum rides a sports bike?

14. Mad Matt

Mad Matt Absolutely Bonkers Mad...

I smoke 100 a day, helps with my asthma;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. RepsolSam

Not as hard as I thought...still on my mind though...

Lol

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  16. Dave

Dave Member

Never smoked in my life, but have no idea what i've done with all the money.

17. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Good for you Sam keep it up, but if the craving returns have you considered vape ?

18. T.C

T.C Elite Member

When I was in Hospital back in July, there were a lot of patients admitted during my stay who were smokers.

Being a cardiac unit, patients would arrive on the unit about 3 - 4 days after they were admitted having already gone 3 - 4 days without nicotine, which they say is the worst or most difficult time as the cravings are still strong (although I had none of the cravings)

Anyway, the staff would tel smoking patients that abviously they need to quit and wuld arrange a stop smoking advisor to come and see them.

On one particular day, a chap was admitted and was placed in the berth alongside mine. He was a 40 a day smoker. He had already been in Hospital for about 5 - 6 days before he came to CCU and had not smoked since he was admitted.

Anyway, a quit smoking advisor turned up on about his 3rd day on the ward, so he had aready gone 8 or 9 days without a cig, and they promptly put him onto nicotine patches and started putting nicotine back into his system.

I got talking to the chap (as you do) and we chatted about giving up, and when I asked him if was craving a fag he said "Now you mention it, No..." so whenI pointed out how long he had gone without a cig and the fact that they were putting nicotine back in, the penny dropped, because as he said himself, the hardest part had been achieved, and his heart problems had taken his mind off the need for nicotine anyway, apart from which, he also now had an incentive to keep off the smokes.

When I mentioned what I had seen and discussed with the ward staff, they said that they tend to leave the quit smoking programme to the volunteers that come in and give up their time, but did agree that it did seem daft that having weened themselves off during the first part of their stay (and they say that nicotine is out of the system after 3 days), why would you then put nicotine back in to start the weaning off process all over again.

But then, I gave up cold turkey and found that worked for me. Not sure I would have given up at all if I had vaped or gone down the e-cig route.

Just a little anecdote I thought you might find interesting, but the other reason for this is because I did suffer some withdrawl symptoms (or at least I thought they were, but they were actually my heart problems which are similar to smoking withdrawl) and the website here I found very helpfull and informative http://www.quitguide.com/benefits-of-quitting-smoking.html

There is also a forum that I am a member of with people from all over the world. Very friendly, very encouraging and lots of good support and advice http://www.quitsmokingmessageboard.com/

Hope this is of some help to you for what its worth

• Like Like x 1
  19. RepsolSam

I think 3-4 days are easy..its just finding something to keep you busy..

Anchors are there..they just need replacing..the need to do something lol

I think if I were in hospital - and mentally did not prepare myself to quit I would be back on as soon as I got out of the door.

20. travellingkiwi

travellingkiwi Active Member

I smoked occasionally when I was young (18). Then one day I had one & puked everywhere. Can't stand them ever since. In fact one of the most obnoxious things I find is idiots who stand around the entrances of buildings sucking their death tubes who then come inside with the reek of cigarettes they bring with them. Sharing a lift with a smoker? They should be treated the same as people who don't wash or refuse to wear deodorant.

I hate it so much I get mad at people smoking in their cars because it smells worse than sitting behind a VW diesel.. I can even tell when someone is smoking in traffic because I can smell it as I filter past them.

sigh... you've started me off now... it's all your fault...