Radiator

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Dave V, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

Took the RR10 out last night for the first time in four months. Been riding the 929 every day, just forgot how much quicker the 10 is.

Awesome night, leaving the Oakdene and 7 riding through the lanes to Eastbourne for a Chinese then back through the lanes, getting home at around 1.30 this morning.

The only downer was on the way back we pulled into a garage to grab a coffee and noticed liquid pissing from the front of my bike. My intial mood wasn't great but cheered when we couldn't see where it was coming from, ran the bike, I knelt down and got sprayed in the face with Coolant- The lads found this highly amusing, all I could do was laugh and wish someone had filmed it so I could send it to Harry Hill and get £250 towards the cost of repair.

Although I hated doing it, the garage had some radweld that the boy's convinced me to use to save waiting for a recovery truck, poured it in rode the bike hard for another 45 mins with not a sign of anything leaking!

Now got the hassle and cost of sorting the rad, thing is it was just the other day I contemplated getting a rad guard, hey ho, shit happens.

Interseted on views reagrding replacing the rad or getting it repaired. Understand the cost for a new replacement from Honda if heafty, really wanted to get a can for it rather than a new rad!!

Edited- WTF, just seen this on ebay. 250 quid for a secondhand rad with a huge dent in it!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CBR...70?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2ebb67fe1e

#1 Dave V, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Yeah Rads don't go cheap mate . There was a nice over sized race rad. On EBay it I think it was 500 bucks thou .. Super bling thou mate !!

Have you found any prices on a repair ??

3. Benn The Pig

Benn The Pig Well-Known Member

Yeah mega bucks rads are I want a guard for mine!

4. Mogsy

Mogsy Active Member

When I bought the bike the dealer warned me to get a guard, sounds like it was good advice !

5. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

Yeah, see the over sized one, does look nice. Haven't had a chance tp get any prices on a repair.

6. barry107

barry107 Active Member

Hi Dave,

Heres a picture of my full size rad on my 600rr which I managed to get a couple of holes in :rolleyes:.

[​IMG]

Because it's a 2 core model it was going to cost a small fortune to have it re-cored.

I used used Evo-stik metal epoxy putty which cost £5.49 from Halfords Halfords | Evo-stik Hard & Fast Metal Epoxy Putty

After using it, it never leaked again. you can smooth it and even drill it as well, stuff from the God's.

#6 barry107, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  7. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

Cheers mate, this stuff looks the nuts. I took the bike out again Sunday, only visiting family but an excuse to get on it. The Radweld seems to have held well and not a sign of a leak now, but just don't trust the stuff. Only thing is now I can't see where it was actually leaking from!!!

Might just get this and carry it with me, say's it sets in ten mins. Anyone else used this to fix a rad?

8. Pinkster1000RR

Pinkster1000RR Active Member

Yup, i feel your pain!! I picked up my 2011 HRC Blade is June brand new......Went to the Nurburgring in July and on the way home, stopped for fuel (In UK) and the RHS of the bike was Green with coolant......... Rad was repaired as the hole was a tiny pin hole......that was Repaired last July and touch wood all good so far..bike has now done 8000 Miles....
    I have since purchased a R&G Rad guard.

Jay

9. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

How was it repaired, re cored?

Cheers

10. Pinkster1000RR

Pinkster1000RR Active Member

They used a resin.....this was done at Plymouth Radiators.

11. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

Cheers guy's. I decided to give this a try. Found where the damage was, picked out the radweld and applied this. Was out from around 8 till mid night and not a sign of a leak. Fingers crossed

• Like Like x 1