Rear hugger on ABS model

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Brym, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Brym

Brym Active Member

Are there clearance issues with fitting rear huggers on the ABS model?
    Have seen conflicting information some of the larger ones saying non ABS only but some say both.
    Anyone tried it? Opinions

#1 Brym, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi mate,

I think that the official one does in fact fit but a spacer is needed. The main dealer should be able to supply this. I'm sure someone on here has one fitted.

3. everton

everton Active Member

got one fitted to my 2010 abs blade, and had no probs,
    mate of mine who is on his second abs blade, has had one fitted on both, he also carrys a
    pillion , which i dont,
    he has not had a problem with either bike,
    he did have his suspention set up by bike mecanic thou, so if you are heavy or carry pillion
    it might be worth willl doing to stop it bottoming out on hugger,
    i weigh 11stone 8 and have had no probs with standard setting.

4. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

Right based on this I'm going to splash out and get the carbon fibre one I think to go on my black/gold bike :)

Sick of the road crap getting absolutely everywhere on the back. I do 1k miles per month and the bike is flippin' filthy at the best of times!

5. FirebladeRR10

FirebladeRR10 Active Member

I have the Honda carbon racing Hugger fitted to my 2010 C-ABS.

It was fitted by the dealer to the bike from new.

First one got cracked...I weigh 14 stone. A new one was fitted under warranty and so far, so good, but the dealer upped my pre-load from the standard setting which I think is 4, up to 7!

It seems fine now, and the first time it got damaged was when the bike passed through a really deep pot hole in the road, which I just didn't see, so I was unlucky.

I wouldn't suggest riding with a pillion with it fitted, in fact, when I took the wife on the back recently, I took it off, and she is only small. The clearance with two up went down to about half an inch at the tightest spot...and I'll guarantee you'll crack it if you go over a big bump.

Also, it doesn't do a great job of keeping all the crap off the underside. It does however stop all the dirt going over the rear shock which is the idea i guess.

But....it does look super sweet sat back there, but my advise to you is to check what clearance you have when sat on the bike once its fitted.

Hope this helps

Mike

6. Brym

Brym Active Member

Thanks for the feedback. I am similar weight and I do take my girlfriend on the back sometimes.
    Interesting you say it does not stop that much dirt.
    Is it the large wrap around the back wheel type like this

Honda large hugger
    or the little stubby one?

Stubby type

7. JM1

JM1 Active Member

He's talking about the large Honda one.
    It doesn't keep dirt off the bottom of the shock linkage, but it's not designed to - no hugger is really as they don't wrap round the lower half of the rear wheel.

8. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

stunning thread. did not see this before asking about a hugger on my ABS blade

thanks

9. sync24

sync24 Active Member

Are you all saying that I can fit the Honda standard part hugger to my ABS blade with te rear suspension adjusted to suit? If so I is a happy man!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. everton

everton Active Member

yes got mine fitted at dealers from new
    all he had to do is put slight spacer on abs cable sie which is not noticable
    hope this helps

11. sync24

sync24 Active Member

I managed to find a brand new repsol hugger on ebay for £120 - fitted it a couple of weeks ago to my 09 ABS Repsol and went out for a good ride round Kent's national speedlimit twisty's last weekend - Had absolutley no issues - The only thing I've done is to load up the damping to 7 on the rear shock coz I am a bt heavy :-| and will avoid taking passengers!

12. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

Thanks Guys, I have an ABS on order and my dealer has told me it cant be fitted to ABS model. I am going to call them today and tell them about this info. Great news if it will fit, i live in the Fens and the roads are alway covered in farm shit so I really wanted to get one fitted. I have one on my 600 and it seems to work really well and well as looking good. will update when i have spoken to them. fingers crossed.

13. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

had my Honda repsol hugger fitted and after 1700 miles not a issue. just fitted a washer to the bolt by the abs wire and works fine

14. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

Do you have any photos Remal? :)

15. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry does not show much from the pics i have online but where the ABS wire is on the right hand side of the huggger. I just fitted a washer to lift the hugger over the abs wire. I keep a eye on it to check its not rubbing and its been fine. They are old pics before the tail tidy and can was fitted

16. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

N1! Have you tried getting someone really heavy to sit on the back and observe the clearance between the hugger and the extra abs bulge!? Just wandering how close it is and if it would touch under heavy compression (i.e. dip or bump in the road at 3 figure speeds... err I mean track!)

17. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I've not touched the rear suspension but have used luggage on the rear. Not checked regarding a pillion as i don't have anyone to go on the back or wants to with me riding lol. buut my mates checked with the luggage on and me on the bike and I had loads of room left between the Tyre and huggers

18. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

I wonder why Honda say they are not suitable to ABS then!? Surely they could have bought out a slightly modified ABS firendly version if the standard one kind of fits anyway!?

19. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

I spoke to dealer yesterday, technical guy called back today to say it makes sense that it should fit with a spacer and will give it a go, but at my risk if it wont fit. Told them to go ahead. They are being very helpful and want to make it fit if they can but cant alter the suspension settings (its a legal issue). As an owner I can do what i want with it but they can only let the bike go out on standard settings.
    Bike also arrived in dealership yesterday, Akro pipe and trick bits being fitted. could have picked up this weekend but decided to wait till they have ordered the hugger and had a go to fit it. 1 more week wont hurt if its going to rain anyway.
    will update again when i know more to say wayhay its fitted or does anyone want a black colour coded hugger of non abs

20. Bats

Bats Active Member

Well i fitted the short stuppy carbon one to my 2011 abs blade after 60 miles could smell rubber hmmmm i had to take the hugger off and bin it 50 notes down drain!
    So be carefull folks this was due to it flapping cos there is no mounting bolts to stop it flexing!! ive seen a few with brake res socks over the damper to stop them doing this!

Nothing to do with clearance from the underside thought i am gonna but a standard one and do some modding on it next ;)