Recommend me a new router/modem please?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Gary, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Gary

Gary Active Member

Need a new router/modem to pair up with an iMac, MacBook Pro & Windows laptop. Hope to improve not just speed but also coverage in the house as the current offering from Plusnet is not fantastic for wifi (old ish house with proper brick / breeze block walls).
    Thought about the obvious Mac choice but not sure if the wife's laptop will connect easily.
    All suggestions for the ideal home set up gratefully appreciated.

2. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

your best bet is to do an on line study of various product tests in particular the range aspect.
    the established ones netgear, belking and Dlink are good. also read BT was good.
    you can also consider mains ring network extension which is what I am thinking of.
    the plusnet router/modem I have is pretty basic is has a decent range but although is N router, the link stays at 65mbps. You can try dropping the link speed and see if the range improves.
    let us know what you end up with:)

3. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

If you have proper stone walls then any wifi signal is going to struggle getting through with a reliable connection. I would instead consider wifi boosters, range extenders or powerline adapters to get a fast connection in the places that don't currently get a good signal.