Recording ride outs

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Muffking, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Just found this App mentioned in this months RIDE, but have a question about recording your rides.
    [​IMG]

According to the reviews it says that the information that it stores can be used by the police. Now I know they are probably covering themselves, but It got me thinking about admissible evidence of any recordings. i.e. don't camcorder recordings need to be time coded in order to be used in court? And what are the implications of an App recording details of your 120 mile ride covered in 90 minutes for example?

2. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

I'm no expert on the law, but I'd think you'd be bang to rights especially if the app uses GPS to track the route recorded.

3. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

As I understand it. If the police suspect you of committing a criminal offence, they can take your phone / camera if they want for examination of evidence.

Doesn't need a clock afaik, just the ability to prove you were riding and that you have committed an offence from the evidence you have recorded. Be it speeding or dangerous driving etc.

Hence folk have been prosecuted for videos they have posted on YouTube!

4. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

They have used people's videos against them. Think I have heard about gps tracks being used as well but at moment the only one I can think of is the bloke who tweaked his gps data and tried to use it In his own defence.

I used to have a infrorad speed camera thingy on my bike which could record tracking info. I turned that function off for this very reason.

5. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

But isn't the infored camera thing illegal in its own right?

Like the road angel things that were about a few years back?

6. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Jimbo I think it was one of those stupid laws

It wasn't illeagal to own one but was illegal to use it to speed and a avoid speed traps lol
    Radar jammers are illegal

7. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

Think your spot on Mart, something to so with the way they work/technology used

8. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Exactly... But imagine the irony of using one to avoid a ticket but getting done for speeding and 'using' it to try and avoid the ticket in the first place.

FAIL! Lol

I've got a similar thing inbuilt to help me avoid getting nicked...

My eyes! Lol

9. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

I think it was only the ones which detected laser signals etc like my old Snooper which were made illegal. The inforad I had was purely a GPS device with a remote LED which changed colour depending on the risk. Now I just use CamerAlert on my mobile with headphones and noise reducing buds. Mark 1 Eyeballs are good for fixed cameras but are no use for mobile cameras which can get you from over 1k (5/8 mile) away.

You can have an automatic garage door opener which interferes with certain speed detection equipment, just make sure you actually have the automatic garage doors to go with it ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

If that fails the throttle ;)

11. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

there was a bike crash near leeds a few years ago where a group of lads had been riding and a rider and passenger that were riding a bike got killed.
    the police raided the homes of the bikers that were with the couple that got killed and took away vid cameras and computers as evidence.
    There was a big thing about it on local news, but the court would not let them be seen, as there was no proof that just because you have vids of riding fast , there was no proof that they were riding fast or dangerous at the time of the crash.

12. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

But clearly the intent of the police was to find evidence of the incident in question as evidence for prosecution....

So if your filming / logging your ride then surely they can use it if it all goes Wong! Lol

13. Andy

Andy Active Member

Personally I'm not a big fan of these apps, your just giving third party's to much information of your privacy.

They get to know exactly where you set off from, giving them the exact location of your pride and joy, they know how long your out, where you like to go etc.

God knows who has access to this information, they might sell it on to other third party's, their data may not even be secure.

One day you will be going down your favourite section of road that's normally quiet never any police about and next thing your know their taking you licence away.

14. phantom

phantom Active Member

not sure where it leaves you as the route is live and gps recorded but you would
    have to be found with it still recording as they have to prove you recorded the route
    and not someone else.same as the helmet camera's not time stamped so it cant be used
    unless you are caught speeding and the camera is still recording when you pull over.
    loads of the youtube cases have been thrown out of court as they cant prove who
    recorded it.unless you are like the last two numptys that pleaded guilty from the off,
    one had the cops knock his door and before they said anything he said is this about
    my videos :s

one example
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...motorcyclist-escapes-speeding-conviction.html

#14 phantom, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  15. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

Yeah, because you let someone else use your phone for the day to ride their bike all the time and can't remember who it was?

16. phantom

phantom Active Member

well it is innocent until proven guilty, cant just assume you did it
    as its on your phone.thats just silly.

17. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

So what happens when you get a speeding ticket through the door? Can you say "sorry, it wasn't me riding it and I can't remember who was"?

18. phantom

phantom Active Member

thats the nips form but for youtube and other recordings they
    are not industry standard speed detection devices.

19. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

I'm not referring to that mate, I'm talking about the original question regarding an app on your phone that records your journey.

Granted a video can't prove it's you on your bike, unless of course it's you or your mate in front with the reg on full display.

20. phantom

phantom Active Member

yup but with the phone its A recorded route, doesnt say if it was car bike or small plane
    so they cant prove anything. was it lying under the seat of a bike you let
    out on a test run, given fake details etc etc
    its the same as most gps units record maximum speed but you would never see a cop
    reach in and check it or the dataloggers on ducati's?