Removing the fairing Help

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Remal, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Ok how's best to do it.

Car's i'm fine with bikes I ride and let someone else service it.

But I'm hoping to get a track fairing and also ideal to remove the fairing for cleaning etc..

Any tips on what to do and what not to do?

Is it very difficult and any places I can look that can give me an idea of how to go about removing the fairing.

This is my first sports bike and first fully faired bike so I don't want to screw anything up

cheers

Matt (AKA Dan, Malc, Dave you name it ):haha:

2. Si.

Si. God Like

I would like to know this too Bert, there are some fiddly prongs on there....

3. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Well then me and ^Gladys^ need helps then

• Like Like x 1
  4. mal

mal Active Member

it's a fecking mission removing them,but putting them back on. well, i'v yet to do that,all i can say is take plenty on photo's for future reference,as you soon forget how,just take your time and don't force any thing off,

5. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Have a word with bats, he did mine at the weekend, scary to say the least, I did however manage to get the infill panels fitted my self, if your prepared for lots of creaking of the plastics go ahead, they are more pliable than you think? Maybe so in a warmer environment?
    Go on, have a go, whats the worst thing that can happen?

6. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH too expensive to crack unsure what to do now

7. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Its easy guys . Remove all the bolts you can see on the outside . Then look in around the rad and remove all the tabs on the insides of the side fairings which will let you pull out the cowl from under the air tubes and headlights , Remove the inner side fairing cowls from each side of the rad revealing the last bolts folding the side fairings on . then un pop the side fairings from the frame and pull them to pop the air tubes out

Your gonna have to disconnect the flapper valve tubes to take them away from the bike . The tank and seat cowl you will be able to figure out

• Like Like x 1
  8. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

Just go for it.

I used 1000rr.net as its a sticky on there - but its pretty straight forward and Im a mechanical retard.

The bit which stumped me is the little plastic pull clips... you'll find them on the inside of the ram air ducts.. simply press the centre with a pokey thing and they pop.

I ended up putting Chinese fairing on - and that is MUCH harder than original so think you'll be fine.

The basic concept of the fairing is torsion.. so the belly pan holds the side fairing, holds the front fairing.

I'd start:

Tank - easy
    Tail - easy, but you need to give it a good stretch over the subframe
    Belly - easy.. and that then frees up the sides. Pull the belly towards the rear and the sides will pop off at the bottom.
    pull the air tubes from the tank and it all comes away. then go about removing the gubbins from the inside of the panel.
    once both sides are off, the front is left. the hardest part.
    the front is pulled onto the mounts by the side air duct bolts so once they are off it will free up. there is a pescky push clip under the headlights in the black plastic center piece.
    DISCONNECT the wing mirror lights from behind the front subframe/clock mount. There is a rubber boot behind there which you need to lever out with a screw driver. There is enough slack to pull the cables down and disconnect.
    Then unbolt the mirrors and it should all be free.

Few screws here and there and its done.

OH - nearly forgot. the very hardest piece to remove is the little center piece under the tail. I ended up drilling out a hole under the seat to get to the screw!

Go for it.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Bats

Bats Active Member

As dan amd Zee said ;)

10. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

As bats said cheers guys