Riding gear

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by blade1980, Jun 26, 2011.

1. blade1980

blade1980 Active Member

Went out for a ride today, couldn't resist it, altho its bloody hot I still had full leathers on, can't believe how many riders I saw with just jeans and trainers and one just a t shirt!! They haven't got a hope in hell if they came off !!

2. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I was always told "1mm of skin for every "1MPH" but it's their lives not mine. the law only ask's a rider to wear a lid which is daft. But it's up to them. fecking stupid if you ask me

And while we are on this subject!
    I'm touring from north France to north west Spain in Sept. I want to wear my new dainese 2 piece leathers. I have draggen Kevlar jeans but they will be to bulky to pack. I'm not a fan of textiles.

I also have a large Dainese back protector but unsure to take it ,1 due to the size and having to carry it off the bike, 2 more things to take.

I want to take the bare essentials . Any suggestions?

3. blade1980

blade1980 Active Member

Would never ride without a back protector, just doesn't feel right, I have crowtree made to measure leathers and were measured Inc my protector, they just feel all 'loose' if put them on with out back protector!

4. skinso

skinso Active Member

i dont even own a back protector, if im going for a blast i always put a 1 piece on but if its a 5 min run to the shop or sumthing ill stick jeans on with a textile jacket

5. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

I won't go anywhere on my bike without the full bifta

Leathers, boots, gloves, back protector, chest protector and ear plugs

Just not worth the risk.

Only time I ever ride in clothes is after I wash the bike and take it round he block to dry it off.

Could you imagine what a tit you would feel lying in hospital getting skin grafts when you have a £1000 kangaroo suit sat in he garage which should have been covering your arse instead?!

6. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Agree on the protection. why I'm taking my new leathers on my euro trip. Just want to make sure i'm comfy first. then not to over packed with gear also.

7. garyauk

garyauk Active Member

I always wear full leathers, boots, gloves and obviously a crash helmet. This year I was involved in a nasty crash and broke my femur in 2 places and fractured my pelvis. Now I know this sounds bad, but I didn't have a single scratch or bruise on me!........I know the weather is dam hot at the moment and it would be lovely to ride down the road without a care in the world in just shorts and a T shirt, but take it from me it's not worth it! Stay safe out there guys/girls

8. JM1

JM1 Active Member

It's up to each individual.
    You have to ask yourself, where would you draw the line with dictating rules on what we should wear?
    Just because you think it's inappropriate, doesn't mean everyone else does.

9. stigg

stigg Active Member

Come off twice in same sort of accident, once with jeans on and once with leathers on, both off's were at about 25 to 30mph with the jeans had bad gravel rash and over a week off work the leathers just got up and picked the bike up! never rode in jeans again, and never will.

10. Hondo

Hondo Active Member

Spot on. I wear what I want. If its hot and a shortish ride, textile jacket, jeans, boots, gloves and helmet. Long rides etc, full leathers. Each to their own. Lets make the most of it before compulsory dayglo vests become the norm.

Hondo, 31 years riding and wearing what I want.

11. Si.

Si. God Like

Flip flops, tennis shorts and a string vest...especially when it's hot.

12. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

I learnt the hard way.

Old guy pulled out infront of me, locked the back wheel and was sliding side on for the car, jumped ship and the bike just missed the car but unfortunatly i hit the car side on ( hell of a Dan shape dent in the car lol), bounced off and over the car and slid down the road.

I was wearing jeans , boots and a 50 quid knock of red bull leather jacket and an 80 quid nitro helmet.

My jeans where inbeded in my extremely rashed leg, the arm ripped of the jacket but luckely stayed on my arm and i had a crack in the helmet. I was bruised from my knee all the way up to my ribbs and was out of work for weeks. 4 years later and i still got a huge lump in my hip.

Before i even had a new bike i spent 2k on top of the range kit. Never go on the bike with out it now

I aint got pics from hospital but this is a few weeks later

[​IMG]
    hosting images

#12 dan.1moore1, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  13. flatstickHRC

I used to ride to work every day a few years back and would wear just a textile jacket, gloves and helmet.

Nothing more frightening than rush hour traffic on a bike without proper gear on

Your right in saying people can't be forced to wear protective gear and it is a personal choice

I decide I like the use of my body sonwant to look after it as much as possible so decide to wear full leathers etc allthe time now.

If at work my employer asked me to do a task which was dangerous without the right protection I wouldn't do it so I try to have the same attitude at home too

14. blade1980

blade1980 Active Member

Agree with most peoples comments, and sure you can wear what you want when you ride, my leathers are like my 2nd skin and so comfy they always go on for even a short ride, you never know what's round the next corner!

15. flatstickHRC

This fall twisted my leg so much the fasteners on my boots burst

I had a broken foot, bruised/cracked ribs from the handlebars hittin me, both thumbs dislocated, a burnt right leg from the exhaust as the bike got stuck on top of me and my right knee clicks all the time so don't know what's going on there.

If I didn't have proper gear on - boots in particular it would undoubtably have been a broken leg. This crash was at about 10mph and I was about 70miles from home on the trails.

Wear the right gear. I was lucky. No second chances.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Hondo

Hondo Active Member

Each to their own. Been down the road and in hospital a few times myself including broken arms, legs, nose, teeth and ribs and plenty of road rash too. But I would never criticize other bikers because it is their choice. Obviously, t shirts and trainers are a big no no. You holier than thou bikers will be telling us we shouldn't go fast next.....;)

17. Hondo

Hondo Active Member

Each to their own. Freedom of choice.

18. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

OOOOOO nice green leg