Riding in France - 2016 rules.....

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Mike S, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Mike S

Mike S Active Member

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

The above link doesn't mention that any in ear devices are now banned with the exception of hearing aids. It carries a €135 fine and three points.
    You can still use speakers in the helmet as long as they don't go in the ear.

3. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Unbelievable!! is there a massive dept of stupid people employed somewhere to bang these regulations out with the intention of sucking the fun & life out of us :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  4. RepsolPaul

RepsolPaul Well-Known Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I take it the 3 points only count for France?

Once off the train I didn't think any rules apply to uk bike riders?

Did get caught speeding in France on a Crumball Rally, overtaking over 100mph over a soiled white line.

Luckily they was chasing in a Megane with no speed equipment, so only €180 fine.

5. Fraz

Fraz Active Member

Oh for fu** sake :mad:
    I take it you don't actually have to ride with the high viz?

I'm off to Spain end of the month, tempted to sack off the French section of the trip.

I always ride with music, what's the difference with having the music cranked up in your car!

What bullsh*t!

6. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

I use a Starcom digital connected to gps, phone and iPod. I was going to risk using my ultimate ear buds but after reading about the fine ( and possibly having to ride without if I'm caught) I think I'll dig out the helmet headset instead.

7. old git

old git Active Member

I wouldn't worry too much about the French rules. The French cops have better things to do. I don't have stickers on my helmet, I don't carry a breathalyser, I do carry spare bulbs (do that anyway) and as for Hi-Viz it's only required that you carry it for use in the event of breakdown/accident. I've got a couple of hi-viz vests for me and the wife in the bottom of the panniers. I hear this nonsense every year about French rules for bikers and while it may be stated policy the reality is somewhat different. If you're speeding through a village or riding like a maniac then they may take the opportunity to throw the book at you, but my experience over the last 30 odd years visiting France on a bike is that the French cops on the roads are not out to persecute tourists.

I'm riding through France in May and June and have absolutely no concerns.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Remember all the fuss about having to have a certain area of reflective high-viz material on your jacket - what was it 150 cm squared ?

Well the Frenchies protested, big bike protests. One very funny picture in the press - a French biker had a high-viz patch on the back of his leather jacket, cut out in the shape of a hand "giving the finger" with - Now You Can See Me Better - written underneath it in French. Very funny I thought :D

9. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

It's not nonsense mate it's just making people aware of the rules so that they can make up their own minds...after all we wouldn't want to get nicked because some old git said otherwise.

10. Nigelg79

Nigelg79 Active Member

Just ride, don't be a twat and you'll be fine.

• Like Like x 2
  11. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

I've managed to do that for up to half dozen times a year for the last thirty years so shouldn't be a be a problem. The problem comes when one of the gendarmes is interested in your bike from a personal point of view ( a lot of them are into bikes) and wants a chat. Something that's happened to me a couple of times.

12. lexathon

lexathon Active Member

Just remember to say the following and you'll be fine.

Je suis désolé monsieur. Mon main a glissé. Habituellement je conduis beaucoup plus lentement!
    De toute façon, j'aime beaucoup vos yeux. Vous êtes vraiment beau.

13. RepsolPaul

RepsolPaul Well-Known Member

His mums a what ??? :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Do not say:

La France est une pays de flic (France is a police state using a derogatory word for police)

Saw this lot busking in the South of France a few years ago, really good, bought their CD. Learnt a few things from it - l'hexagone - the Frenchies call France the Hexagon on account of its shape - never knew that till then.

Here it is: hexagone , by the anarchist band - Les 7 pieds sales :)

Can only understand a few words, maybe if we have a closet Frenchie on the forum they might understand it better, or someone whose French is better than mine. Anyway GOOD TUNE :D

edit typo

#14 Mattie660, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  15. jack930

jack930 Active Member

been a few times,, and had a hi viz jkt with the helmet reflectors under me seat,, but never been stoped even when passing them doing vech checks, they usually just wave and smile at your bike..
    Going again in Aug for 6 days

16. graham58

graham58 Member

Depends how the vote goes !!

17. edderby

edderby Active Member

I had spare bulbs going through France last week (because they are useful - a headlight bulb went on the motorway in Belgium 2 years ago and I had to pay £15 for a new one at a motorway services - a right stitch-up!), but nothing else that they require. Fixed fine for not carrying a breathalyser is only 10 euros, so no point in buying one (or two really, as you're supposed to have at least 2 of them for some odd reason).
    If stopped, I'd just be very polite and reasonable and say that I had never heard of the requirements and I was sorry and would buy the missing kit ASAP now that the nice policeperson had informed me of the requirements.

18. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

The fine for not carrying a breathalyser was scrapped indefinitely.
    You're still supposed to carry one but can't be fined for not having them.

19. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

sorry if I am repeating someone else's comment:
    you should carry a high vis vest to wear in case of emergency (before, you had to wear it!)
    as I understand, breathalyser have a sell by date so you can carry an out of date one (although there's no fine for not having one!)
    spare bulbs? I have no problem taking a spare H4 or H7 with me if it means I am not grounded on a week end dark at night.
    For me if I could ride to france, I would;)

20. rob929rr

rob929rr Active Member

Just ridden through France (+1000 miles) and the only thing I carried was a spare bulb kit...which is just common sense really. Passed loads of Gendarme and no issues. We tripped off a couple of speed cameras in Northern France but not worried about that, however from 2017 I think there is a law coming in that they can chase you back to your country for a fine. Saying that, it might change now the UK voted out. My mate got fined for speeding between peages. I paid 5 euros...he paid 45 euros. I was saved as I spent a couple of minutes faffing about with my tankbag at the first peage :D