Road Salt

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Carl, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

I'm sat with a cup of tea looking out of the patio door, what a beautiful day and whilst its cold it would be nice to take the blade out for a blast, however, I'm not sure I would enjoy to ride knowing that I'm picking up road salt. How would I get it out of the radiator and in and around of the engine, a full wet wash at this time of year is not preferred:confused because it would take too long to dry out etc.:confused:

Thoughts welcome?

2. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Loads of fresh water and a hair dryer on cold Carl to blow it through. I think a compressor might be too fruity.

Despite south west highways testing their frigging gritting fleet for the last two months, they were nowhere to be seen last night and it was lovely out there this morning. There was a bit of saddle sucking going on but that was leaves.

3. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Just walked into town with Angie and you can see salt in the gutters, I leaving the bike where it is for today I think?

4. Givover

Givover God Like

Hi Carl . I think the salt situation is not as bad as it appears sure if you went out and the roads where they are full of salt and they were wet the stuff would get everywere but would easly wash off, the main issue is that some bikers (mainly riding shitters) dont wash the bike after a run hence the bolts lose there shine and the chain goes to rust ect .For me i dont ride to much over winter but i also dont put it away so many a time i have been out with salt down and many a time i have had to overtake a gritter in full spray mode and actuualy driving through a haze of salt/grit. So to answer your question .First you have to accept the fact you own and have sole responsibility for the upkeep of your 12k motorcycle and no one is going to knock on your door to clean it so like most of us you have to either park it up for winter ,not my choice as it will be fully taxed/insured and is depreicating so you may as well pick your good days and there will be a few (like last xmas) warm and dry. or go through the sorn route. I dont think the radiator picks much up but let it cool down give it a good hose down in cold water whilst very lightly brushing off any crap,(job done) Getting back to the bike in general if you do go out accept it will have to be washed and dryed after ,so there is no point and i have done this myself got rigged up in all the warm gear set off only to find the roads are to slimey to ride on so turning back after ten minutes only to have to spend an hour cleaning all the shit off ,so first lesson only bother if its either a must do (work) or you can have a half day of good riding (dry / warmish/ not to much grit on the roundabouts ect) Second and this news gets repeated on the forum every winter Spray the bike all over with either silicone or other spray to help resist the grime this means all over which only takes about 2 mins inc pegs /under the engine ect then have our ride .Once back home let it cool and if the hose pipe is not frozen lash as much cold water as you can all over the machine then wash down with warm soapy water clean off again with cold water and then ..........Get out the electric leaf blower and give the sucker a good blow dry followed by a wipe over with a micro fiber cloth . The chain can be dried with a clean rag with the engine OFF then start it up run it a while so the engine drys the underside let it cool and wipe any damp bits off the top of the forks ect and put back into the garage ,i sometimes leave a small fan heater on for half an hour and game over .You have had your ride the bike is mint and you can rest up knowing that all you have to do next ride is another spray of silicone and you are off . Sorry if its a long story but its worth it .

• Like Like x 1
  5. Givover

Givover God Like

Bet there is not much salt on the roads of Devon this weekend . We up here seem to have missed most of the weeks Rain and even today it only started at 4pm .Feel for the folks who are being flooded time after time seems there is money for every other country including 60 million for Rawanda WTF is that about? but not our own flood defences .Shame !!!

6. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Friday was nice up here in Lincs, all the rain had washed the salt away and then dried out in the sun, made for a nice little blast out in my long lunch break lol :D

7. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Nice one Simon

• Like Like x 1
  8. phantom

phantom Active Member

I rode the salty roads on my RR5 like I did with all other bikes before.
    done my usual good clean after but still the calliper mount bolts
    took a beating.swore I had cleaned and dried everything.packed it away
    in a warm garage but nope, nice furry bits waiting for my next ride out.
    I eventually found out what I did wrong....I washed it in warm water
    as it doesnt remove the salt but dilutes it.lesson learned,so then
    when I had my 848 out in the salt it was a cold powerwash then I got
    to the deep clean with warm water etc.

9. explorer

explorer Member

No salt by me, went out yesterday into North Wales, sunny when I started and then rained, bike was covered in crap when I got home. Full wash good as new.

10. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Looking out of the window now I'd have to say if there had been any salt on the road, it would bit a tad diluted by now.

Phantom, I've got one single calliper bolt that not matter what I do to it, the minute I turn my back, the bugger goes rusty. Just the one. It's like some sick psychometric test I tells ya!

#10 kpone, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  11. phantom

phantom Active Member

think they are the first to go.....oh that and the sumps on the earlier 1000rr models,
    honda was fixing them on some bikes for free.last forum I was on there was over
    8 members that the salt had eaten the sump that bad there was nearly a hole in it.