RR4 engine required, so I am told

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by AlfG, Jul 11, 2014.

1. AlfG

AlfG New Member

Picked up my new blade today after getting it mot'd to be told that it needs a new engine due to a knocking/ticking noise at 4k rpm onwards once it gets warmed up.

Any thoughts on this or if anybody has a spare engine they don't want, and it works of course, please let me know.

2. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

can you put a video with sound of it running, so we can hear what it might be?

3. Alblade

Alblade God Like

expect to pay around £1,000 - £1,500 for a complete engine and gearbox - swapping them over takes about a day from what I am told unless you are familiar with everything / have all the tools like jacks / lifts etc.

video with sound will be a huge help - odd that its silent at start up - they should be able to give an idea as to the cause. How long have you had the bike for / miles etc.

My engine had no wear at 80,000 miles

4. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

No one can just put an X ray ear on a bike and say it's buggered, could just be the cam chain tensioner, few quid for a new one and an hour or so work to find out.. I'd get a second opinion if I were you.

• Like Like x 2
  5. AlfG

AlfG New Member

I'll try and record and post something with it running over the weekend, good suggestion!

I only bought it a few weeks ago and since then its been in the garage.

I was told the mileage is only 6k but it has been a track bike most of its life.

I have bought it for track mainly but put a daytime mot on it so I could ride it on the road if I got the chance.

6. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Yes agree with Arthur, crazy to say it needs a new engine just for a noise without investigation.. If the worst should happen I got a complete rr4 engine for 700 for my project bike.

7. AlfG

AlfG New Member

Hi, you might know the bike as the guy I bought it off mentioned your name.

I bought it off a guy called Danny
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. scooby

scooby Elite Member

for someone to say it needs a new engine,just because of a tapping noise is a bit of doom mpnger.did he say why,what the problem is?

if its a knocking,as in crank/big end,then it's not the end of world,could well just need that doing without other damage (slim,but you never know),but without a proper inspection it's hard to say.

9. AlfG

AlfG New Member

I went out for a little run to get it up to temperature and recorded the following video. Its hard to hear the knocking TBH but then I guess those with a mechanically tuned ear will hear it.

I can hear a knocking once the engine revs have dropped.

Ah, how do I upload a video???

10. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

You need to upload to youtube then share the link

11. AlfG

AlfG New Member

Thanks, I'll create a utube account and upload the video tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AlfG

AlfG New Member

13. arthurbikemad

Well it's hard to hear any rattle on my iPad, does sound a little cam chain rattly but hard to say from the wrong side of the bike and poor sound in my part, what I would say is if that engine had any serious issues it would sound a lot worse than it does and prob would have gone bang by now, engines with piston, crank, cam or other major problems sound rough believe me! Also if they have major problems they don't run for much longer before they let go. Also top end wise a tappy tappet is a happy tappet is the saying, not that it means much with a modern engine but you have to remember engines are mechanical and to a degree they make noise, listen too hard and you will hear things of no issue and worry your self over nothing, I'd take the bike to someone who didn't just give bull shit remarks with out facts and info. Good job your mans not a Doctor, man walks into doctors with a pimple on his nose and Doc says your fked mate, full blown cancer.

• Like Like x 1
  14. arthurbikemad

p.s. if it goes bang from the sound of that video, your man was lucky and gave a pure fluke diagnosis ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

I thought I could hear a rattle in there but not engine more a loose bolt/fairing piece vibrating, I would go over all the bolts and make sure everything is tight and try wobbling all fairing pieces etc and go from there

16. Scott

Scott Active Member

Where u live ? I'm sure we could recommend somewhere decent to take it close to u?

17. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm guessing Tuddenham Nr Mildenhall ;)

18. AlfG

AlfG New Member

Near Newmarket in Suffolk. I'm always a bit suspicious of main dealers and other garages that haven't come recommended so any suggestions gratefully received.

I'll take another video this afternoon, though perhaps from the correct side of the engine this time lol, thanks for pointing that out arthurbikemad.

19. dave d

dave d Elite Member

check the exhaust gaskets/nuts......

20. exfire

exfire Elite Member

Alf, although it is not that close, I would recommend taking it to BSD in Eye, Peterborough. I have used a couple of bike garages around the local area and was not impressed. Mark Brewin at BSD is usually quite busy but he is a solid guy and really knows his engines. I live 5 miles from Mildenhall and will not take my bike anywhere else, only takes about 45 mins to get there. I can give you a number if you like.