RR7 - move to 44T rear, 114 link chain - not working!

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by GappySmeg, Apr 22, 2022.

1. GappySmeg

GappySmeg Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I've fitted a new standard 16T front sprocket & shiny new Renthal 44T rear sprocket to my RR7.
    Trying to use a new standard length (114 link) chain, and it is just not quite long enough.

I was lead to believe this combination should work... am I wrong?

Naturally I've done all I can to wind the adjuster blocks all the way in... the chain is millimetres away from making it... close, but no cigar.
    I should add, this is the first time I've fitted a new chain, so perhaps I'm doing something daft, but I cannot fathom.

Does anyone think I've been mislead about using a standard length chain, and I should go get a 116 link chain?

2. dern

dern Well-Known Member

I went down to a 15 at the front at the same time as putting a 44 on the back and the standard length chain was just off the minimum adjustment when new so I'm not surprised you're having problems. Fitting a 15 at the front would probably be cheaper than buying a new chain.

• Like Like x 2
  3. GappySmeg

GappySmeg Well-Known Member

Cheers for the info Dern... I'm not sure where I got the idea that 114 links would be fine with 16/44 sprockets.
    Luckily Sportsbikeshop are being incredibly accommodating and allowing me to exchange the 114 link for a 116 link.

• Like Like x 2
  4. TomLum

TomLum Active Member

I have this setup on my RR7 and while it did fit with a 114 link chain it was tight with adjuster wound nearly all the way in. I ended up adding an additional link to the chain to make it a 116. Perfect fit now.

114 chain

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 1