RR8 16k valve clearance check - to do or not to do?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by 1000rr73, Feb 6, 2012.

1. 1000rr73

1000rr73 Active Member

Hi, my RR8 is running at 12k right now but it'll be knocking on 14k by the time the next service comes round. A quick search on here and across the web would suggest that a valve tolerance check is somewhat unnecessary on mondern IL4's and is highly likely to just show that all are within tolerance.

So, i'm inclined to just wait, perhaps to 24k or 32k....but on the otherhand i don't want to create problem for the sake of a few hundred pounds, i just don't really want the bike pulled apart unnecessarily.

Whats the view on here? Also, would it put you off buying a bike that hadn't had the check done?

ps - is it 16k / 4 years or just 16k irrespective of age?

cheers

2. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

I've heard the same, a friend had an RSV with 65k on the clock and didn't ever have them checked.

3. kev.b

kev.b Well-Known Member

Just check the clearance yourself thats what I do at 16000.

4. abv

abv Active Member

Chances are they won't need adjusting but do you want to take the chance ?

If I was buying the bike I'd want to know they had been checked or I'd factor in the cost of having them checked into what I was prepared to pay.

Looking at my handbook it actually says every 24 months or 16000 miles but I would ignore the time part of that and just get it done at the mileage.

5. masterblader

masterblader Active Member

Blades are very reliable when it comes to valve clearences very few need adjusting at 16k however there was one rogue blade that needed all 16 valves to be shimmed up ( factory f up ). The other issue is costs as this varies considerably with garages varying from £325-£545 which also includes a cam chain replacement.
    Currently doing a CC and CCT replacment parts cost £130

6. BladeRR8

BladeRR8 Active Member

Not a Blade I know but my ZX6 (modern IL4) needed 8 valves shimming at 7500 miles although admittedly Honda is in a totally different league regards quality I would still get them checked or as suggested check yourself its not hard.

7. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

My 600 needed no shims at all but i knew i would be selling the bike at some point and a dealer stamp in the service book saying iv kept to the service schedule is good to boost potential sales