Running engine in

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by fisher, Jun 16, 2011.

1. fisher

fisher Active Member

Hi guys

just wondering how you run your engines in, I'm picking up a new Blade this Saturday, I usually take it easy for the 1st 100 miles then just ride as normal, [quite hard]

Also I would be interested in what kinda powe you've been making [BHP] and your system of running in

2. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Bought my new blade at the end of Feb. I can't comment on the power but mine feels very strong how I ran it it. first 300-400 miles as per the book. No hard revving or braking to bed everything in. last 200 miles ran it pretty much as normal. then after the first service went like hell lol

3. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

i don 500 milks under 7k then rode normal and took it in for the 600 mile run in service. Rode as normal after that but i didn't really hammer it till 1000 miles then changed oil myself again

4. Pinkster1000RR

Pinkster1000RR Active Member

I pick up my new blade on Friday.
    The guy said to me that the first 100 miles are the most important....don't labour the engine too much and keep it under 7000 revs, then after that ride it like you stole it lol.......

I did the same on my 600RR in 2005, and it being px'd with 41000 miles on it for the new blade :) it never missed a beat and got plenty of thrashings on road/track.

Jay

5. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

I did first 100 miles under 8k, then started taking it up for short periods.

Others buy them, stick them straight on the dyno at full revs - apparently it is possible to increase bhp, but im sure there is a sacrifice somehwere.

Basically, just dont worry about it too much!

PS. GET RID OF THE OE TYRES STRAIGHT AWAY!!!!!!!!! Ask the dealer if you can 'upgrade' to something else before you pick it up and give them the old tyres back - they are rubbish.

6. fisher

fisher Active Member

This is what I was thinking of doing, but changing the oil after the 1st 100 miles, Then just ride it as normal, I did this on my 636 kwaka years ago, but the engine went bang in a big way after 2000 miles. [serves me right for buying a kawacrappy I suppose.]

I think its shod with Bridgestone 016's which I thought were ok? I'll be changing them for 2CT's when they run out though.
    Thanks for the info guys

7. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

BT016? I have BT 015's on my 2011 blade. but can't go wrong with 2CT's. Loved them on my Speed triple

8. fisher

fisher Active Member

They may be 015's mate, I didnt look that close. same here with the 2CTs, mega tyres, best I've ever had on the road, they seem to last quite a few miles as well

9. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

The OE tyres which come with the blade are not the same spec as if you went to a shop and bought new 016's. Cheeky from Honda... these OE tyres are much worse.

10. Pinkster1000RR

Pinkster1000RR Active Member

Looks like new tyres too.......On my 600RR Corsa 3's were awesome

11. djfleming22

djfleming22 Active Member

The oil in the bike before the 600 miles is a lot thinner than what will be in after that so you should leave in there for now because it helps the engine bed in properly, thats why they wait to 600 miles to change it..... as for running it is up to yourself there are a lot of options and different suggestions i mostly let the brakes bed in for the first 100 miles then just ride like normal do high revs and let it overheat this is when it starts to bed in properly .... i think the brakes a little more important to bed in first than the engine

After all the options you the most important one is to have a big smile and enjoy

12. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

i just ride mine normal apart from avoiding full throttle until the oil is changed

i let the bike idle till fan comes on then shut it off and repeat a few times and thats about it. just ride it

13. TonyBlue

TonyBlue Active Member

I bought my third Blade (an 2010) from George White's in Swindon, so I had close to 80 miles to return home anyway. I basically kept it below 5000-6000rpm in each gear for the whole journey, occasionally snicking up and down the gears at every opportunity. The Honda manual says 300 miles and the dealer said 600. So for about 500 miles over the following week or so I rode it reasonably unless I had to give it an odd blip to overtake etc. Somewhat boring I know, but I did the same on my '98 brand new Blade from DK and it was still buzzing at near 30k on the clock. My advice wouldn't be to just ride under 5000 all the time because at some point you will need to whack the throttle open so the engine needs to be accustomed. My rule for the first 3-500 miles would be to ride sensibly and thrash very occasionally.

14. fisher

fisher Active Member

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll take it easy for a hundred miles or so, then unleash the beast

15. Gregr

Gregr Active Member

When I got my 09 HRC new I looked in the manual for the "running In" bit and all it said was avoid full throttle starts or something similar so i just was easy on it for the first couple of hundred miles.
    Tyres, totally agree, bin the OE bridgestones, they work ok in that they keep the wheels on the ground but had no feel from the front; binned em for Pirelli Diablo Corsa 3 which were really good, now on Diablo Rosso Corsa...awesome tyre, just done 2000 miles on them in France and there's load of life yet so expecting 3-4 k out of them, Highly recommend these.

16. fisher

fisher Active Member

As it happens I took it for its 1st service today at Wayne Bowens in Trehorcy, sadly the shop in closing in a month or two, the guys there are fantastic, brilliant mechanics and are "biking people" by sheer luck when I rolled in into the garage it had exactly 600 miles on it, they all took the piss outa me saying have you been riding around the block untill you reached that figure.....

They charged me £96 quid, which I thought was very good, I had a cup of tea as well thrown in. lol

I didnt bother running the bike in, I just rode is as normal, but tried not to use full revs....but you cant help it at times when your out with your mates!!!!

17. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

Same as me. Just ride it normal and enjoy it. Best way to run them in IMO