Safest time to ride a bike.

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Givover, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Givover

Givover God Like

I have had my first service today Yipeeeee! However it was booked for 12.30 (shops time) and as such i needed to do about 50miles to get me the magic 600.which brings me to my question . Safest time to ride a bike .I went out this morning about 10.30 and arsed around on some decent roads BUT this is also the time of the old B******s and i mean Garden centres (Always a near death experiance ) Farm shops / ect ect I was coming down the A50 from Knutsford having had a near miss when i approched the exit to a farm shop needless to say some old women came straight out but i was expecting, it so i drew along side to give it the are you blind routine only for the old C**T to completley Blank me ,As you are aware this is the standard deal Roundabouts being another Blanking session.Is Sat am the worse time to ride ?

2. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

Rush hours and Sunday mornings. I feel Much safer going for mid week early afternoon rides.

3. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Yeah avoid built up areas at rush hours unless your used to traffic riding. Iv commuted into city centre for the last 3 years and it took some getting used to but once i had grown eyes in the back and side of my head i started to enjoy it . Blasting through , dicing in and out of the cars .. It may just be me but it was a bit of a buzz..

I know its a pretty big scene in new york but on fixies...

4. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree about saturday AM's. If at all possible I don't use the bike then, especially if I'm errand running around town. As you say, too many old farts tripping to nurseries with their minds only on getting there. I'm also wary of the mums with Freelanders full of Thelwell girls in riding tack paying no attention to anybody else on the road because they've got to get Jeremy to band practice before Pilates on top of everything else.

Back in the day, and I'm talking late 70's, I would treat myself to a solo ride out every Christmas morning. It was shit hot. The best ride of the year, no one around and even the boys in blue would generally be in a good mood. When I got born again biked a few years ago I tried to re-instate the tradition and it was awful. Like a week day rush hour but with the commuters replaced by grandparents which was even more scary. Never again.

5. bladebhoy

bladebhoy Active Member

best time to ride is during world cup or any major footie games roads are always empty.. that is if your not a footie fan yourself and the fact that world cups are 4 years apart.

6. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

Just been out tonight from 7.30 for an hour, not many people about so really enjoyed it. Jeez these things are fast!

7. Givover

Givover God Like

I agree .As sat am is not my normal time it was an eye opener .My deal is in summer leave mid week about 6.45 get to the favorite hot spot do your thing then back home for a shower .What i can't get my head around is that after just pulling out on you the Old Tossers then just look forward and then as they can't see you (There is no Problem) .
    Name your top 5 danger zones ,I will start with the old Favorite The Garden centre!

8. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Any B road that leads to the seaside, especially on Saturday morning.

That's how I killed my Ducati

9. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Did you let it get too close to the salty air? :)

10. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

When England are playing in the World Cup and there is a simultaneous, televised, cookery and knitting showdown on ITV.

11. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

No, I beat it to death with the tailgate of a Nissan Micra.

12. JM1

JM1 Active Member

That's the second most common method of Ducati death.

13. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, next to salty air I believe.

I loved it but I got tired of my standard acknowledgement of every phone call to me from SP Motorcycles was "How f*****g much?", closely followed by "How f*****g long?".

14. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

Were your tyre pressures correct?

I'll get my coat...

15. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

^^ lol :)

16. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Not certain FS, I wasn't monitoring them at that moment, I must have been doing something else utterly pointless as it's damn certain I wasn't paying bloody attention to what I should have been. LOL.

17. gixerthou

gixerthou Active Member

During F1 races is good aswell

necause all the wanna be race car drivers are in watchin everyone follow the Red Bull cars