Scotland Tour

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Black, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Black

Black Active Member

Just a wee word of warning for those intrepid adventurers who are taking the trip to Scotland.
    Since the start of this admittedly short biking season up here we have noticed that the road surface is not what it should be. Projectiles are taking a toll on our bikes and I'm unsure if its a localised problem or nationwide but best be prepared. Amongst those of us who ride regularly together.
    The casualty list so far:
    HRC Blade: holed nose cone.
    Ducati Baylis: holed nose cone.
    Ducati Panigale: holed nose cone.
    Kawasaki ZX10: holed nose cone.
    CBR600rr: broken headlight.
    ZX6r: broken indicator.
    And no less than 8 radiators.
    To be honest getting to the front is the obvious answer but we can't all be at the front and the fight to get there and stay there becomes a little fraught on the road. Lol
    Loads of bubble wrap might be the answer and would make the photo shoot at knockhill interesting.
    Anyone else experiencing this?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Millsp1

Millsp1 Active Member

have to agree, 300miles last weekend in argyle,big chip on my Arai gp, not a happy bunny!!!! The roads in Scotland are awfull.

3. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Chicks dig scars :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Wanna try them down here mate.

Terrible surface, too much traffic, no scenery! ;(

5. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Currently in Scotland, been to tip of Skye today and not an issue but it could be lucky. Were you at the green belly sat late morning with the panigale?

We all have rad guards - best thing to fit before the trip.

But roads are awesome though so still worth it.

6. HRCTrev09

HRCTrev09 Well-Known Member

I know the road are shite everywhere!!! :mad:
    Not just Scotland that's just the Government for you!! :mad:

But the trick is to look out for one another and if we come up against a road littered with stones or other crap is just hang well back from the guys in front! And if the guys in front signal them at the back (a wee heads up ) to tryin keep flying debris to a minimum that should help a bit! :)

Last year riding up to Knockhill with my mate, the road had just been resurfaced! Basically fresh tar put down then 2'' of loose pea sized stones dumped for the cars, vans etc to bed in! cutting costs! No road rollers!

Anyway it was like riding on ball bearings! My mate was in front and I got showered with stones, again my lid got pretty marked up but I've a got rad guard & ventureshield so the bike came out unscaved :D

With my new nose cone shinning bright :D I'm making sure I get the replacement Ventureshield fitted before the tour ;)

7. Black

Black Active Member

Yes Alblade I was at the welly with my mate on his Panigale and another two on an HRC. Just love that road from the welly to Oban. Epic!

8. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Did I speak to you about the fairing rubber? I saw a red 08 and the HRC, even got a picture of them.

Hope you avoided the police van on way to oban!

Will post pics later this week when I get home.

9. Givover

Givover God Like

Never mind at least you can be proud of the roads we are making in Iraq and Afghanistan .I bet the Tarmac is perfect.

10. Honda1964

Honda1964 Active Member

Staggerd formation and/or reasonable gaps should reduce the risk. it is not a race is it:D

11. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Staggered formation?

Is that nor reserved for when we're all rolling off to bed after a night of liquid refreshment ;)

12. Black

Black Active Member

Staggered formation: accepted and implemented!
    Larger gaps: accepted and implemented.
    Bouncing bombs of the Barnes Wallis variety: unforeseen!
    Lol

13. Black

Black Active Member

Oh and given an average stones flight time when flicked up by a sticky tyre of 2 seconds ( tested in my driveway not 2 mins ago) you would need to be at least 53 metres back from the bike in front. If travelling on a typical A road. Allowing for a staggered formation and say 15 on average for your upcoming tour of Scotland then from first to last you will have a convoy of just under 400 metres. Now taking Mr Barnes Wallis into account and a probable Bounce or two at decreasing velocity of 0.5 per bounce ( conservative i know) then your convoy would extend to just over 700m.
    I was going to try and consider the accumulative volume of shrapnel as you move backwards down the formation then by the time your about 10 back it will be like the opening scenes from Saving Private Ryan! If indeed any of my rudimentary math is correct anyway.
    Better just to accelerate like a dafty when the lights go green and get the hole shot each and every time. Lol

14. Black

Black Active Member

No Alblade wasn't me. I did see the red 08 tho.
    If you guys did Sky then you would have touched on some magnificent roads.

15. Honda1964

Honda1964 Active Member

I'll get my coat :D