Second bikes

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Carlosoul, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Carlosoul

Carlosoul Active Member

I just wondered if everyone has a second bike for winter as it is on its way.

I ride all year round and have my Blade for nice days and my CB500 for everything else... to be honest I have soo much fun on the CB500 as I can push it to its limit more, I went through a phase where I didn't get much enjoyment from the bigger bikes and then I got the 500 and it all came back.

DSC00581.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I admire your bravery Carlo. I'd consider it if I could find a bike with front wheel drive and stabilisers, otherwise I'm too chicken.

3. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

I've got a 600 Hornet alongside my Speed Triple. To be honest, having the two bikes means that the Triumph hardly gets used - partly through a totally irrational desire to keep Triumph "new and mint". This means that I don't ride it often, which is a shame because I absolutely love it when I do!

Come to the conclusion that because I no longer need a commuting bike, that I may sell the Hornet. That means I'd enjoy the Triumph more and when I do come to buy a Fireblade, I only have one partex (or bike to sell).

Good effort on your part Carlosoul, riding in that!

4. tandbiskits

tandbiskits Active Member

This is my everyday mode of transport.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks good so far, mate. When's the engine going in?

6. tandbiskits

Believe it or not, this is just a modern take on a Puch Maxi!

7. bluekontakt2004

bluekontakt2004 Active Member

is that a connondale jekyl?

I have one of these, gpz1000rx

needs its carbs rebuilding before winter though

[​IMG]

8. rocket

rocket Active Member

second bike at moment is an early aprillia tuono. nice to have something a bit different and have had various 2nd bikes for several years now.

9. tandbiskits

10. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

I don't have a second bike as i feel that if you can't ride the blade through winter roads and worry about having a fall then really you should concentrate about getting some skills that give you the ability to ride in all conditions safely. I mean having a lowslide on a cheap bike is just as painfull as any bike? And why bother to pay for insurance and road tax for a bike you do not ride during the winter months? it's not like you do not have the riding kit for the weather, so i just do not get it? Am i missing something here? I rode my CBR600RR from new during winter putting 4000 miles on it and loved it, okay so i had heated grips but so what?

11. Si.

Si. God Like

I used my blade in Jan and feb, ice and snow... Bit scary sometimes. Biggest downside is the salt, so this winter, it's going away from dec till march, don't want to wreck it.

12. bluekontakt2004

I dont want the salt to ruin my £5500 fireblade so I ride a £500 shitter. Its not science ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  13. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

Fine if you think it's worth it? but when i am cruising on a fine winters day with my blade i don't worry about how much it is going to depreciate in terms of a little salt corrosion!! Riding to me is what owning the bike is all about, not how much you can polish the damn thing. Overall my bike is a tool nothing more.................. simple.

14. bluekontakt2004

I ride my bike every day to work raining or not. I just draw the line at riding it in the salt. I do 12000 miles a year on bikes so I dont polish them every day, I just want to look after it so it will last me. Id rather spend £500 on a bike and insure it for about £80. I wont be able to ride like I do in the summer when the Ice and salt is here. This shouldnt even really be an argument. Common sence really.

15. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't need to ride my bike every day so my opinion is obviously skewed on the matter. I will ride it in the Winter, if it's a pleasant enough day and the roads aren't covered in shit, whether it be natural or man spread, because it's not necessary for me to. I don't think it devalues the reasons I rationalise for me being a biker or that I'm wasting money and resource by leaving it in the garage, especially when it's icy and snowing. I just choose not to suffer the hassle. Back in the day when I had to rely on my bike for work, I ran them for thousands of miles in all the weather that could be thrown at me and all I learnt from it was that when the time came that I had a choice I would take it. That and how to change gear with my leg in plaster.

16. wild bill

wild bill Active Member

Unlike the infinitely wise and obviously quite well off PeterT i use a second bike, my old CB1000 Big One is like an armchair on wheels and i use it almost everyday all year round. It has bundles of torque, a bullet proof engine and is good for 150mph if your neck muscles can take it! I'm proud to say my Blade spends most (if not all) of the winter tucked under blankets on paddock stands, and still looks as good as the day i got it (if not better). After 13yrs dispatch riding i've seen first hand the effects of winter on some of my previous bikes and wouldn't even consider using my pride and joy through those dark months.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

Okay, that does look gorgeous and appeals to me as a winter smoker, but heck if i am going to ride a cbf 125 through winter. Do you want to sell that for £500?

18. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

19. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

Wowsers, I couldnt disagree more with this.

mainly I have another bike so the blade wont get stolen in London (we had 4 bikes stolen in 5 months). So, the only option is to have a shitbox which the little scrotes won't want.

Secondly, the useful nature of having a second bike means that you can fix up the blade or work on it, knowing you can still get to work the next day without rushing to put it back together and forgetting silly things.

Thirdly, I dont want to put heated grips on the blade, handlebar muffs, Scotoilier, standard plate, ride everywhere with a heavy chain in my pack, ruin Supercorsa's on the motorway and fill up every day with gas. And believe me, after a 100 miles a day, even the comfy blade takes its toll on your body.

It has NOTHING to do with learning to ride. That comment is total bollox. I dont care if your Casey Stoner, a 170 bhp sports machine with track focused rubber is not good on an icy country road - factoid.

So i have an old SRAD which no-one looks twice at to steal, fantastic wet/winter tyres, all the comforts one needs (as ugly as they are) and it costs about £20 to fix when it falls over and 170 miles between fill ups. Its also a fun bike to ride.

rant over :)

20. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

I rode my last bike for 2 winters . I had it brand new and after 2 winters the salt and really got it . I spent a fortune changing corroded parts in an attempt to get it looking mint again but i could never get it back to show room condition.

after paying 10 grand for the blade she is not going out in the salt. I want to keep this one for ever so in 20 years time i want it as clean as possible . Iv just bought a cat c , repaired to mint condition 91 vfr 400 for 900 bucks which is gonna be my winter work horse