Securing bike on ferry

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Geoff Paxton, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Geoff Paxton

Geoff Paxton Member

looking for some advice if possible.
    Going on a trip to Germany next July on the bike from Newcastle.

Don't trust the deck crew to do it as it is not their pride and joy.

Has any one got any advice, tips on tying it down.

Was thinking high density foam over the seat with a ratchet strap to compress suspension, rubber band on front brake and on first gear.
    Not too sure if need to secure front to rear or will the above be suffice.

Thanks in advance.

2. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

If it's like Santander you won't have a choice....

Side stand, their straps with pad over seat and ratchet down. Jobs a good'n....

Be careful with blade stand, flimsy as hell and easy to snap

• Like Like x 1
  3. sinewave

sinewave God Like

I've also found on Ferry Trips it's a good idea to have ya Bike in first gear and run forward against the engine compression before you strap down, especially if a rough crossing is forecast.

A band over the Front Brake aint a bad idea also

• Like Like x 1
  4. Geoff Paxton

Geoff Paxton Member

Thanks for the tips, especially rolling on to compression, was thinking about chipping the gearbox gearing if rocking back and forth.

5. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

A cable tie on brake as said should stop it going anywhere..... It'll be fine mate ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. pete954

pete954 Active Member

I've been going to the Isle of Man for longer than I care to remember and never had an issue on ferries or the fast cat. They just tie it off with a piece of rope to the foot peg or hanger and onto a railing. The Irish sea can be a bumpy ride even in June. Not a fan of ratchet tying bikes down on the suspension though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. T.C

T.C Elite Member

Like you, I have been going to Assen for the Dutch GP for more years than I care to remember. We always go with P & O and to be fair they have always been superb with tying the bikes down to the point that the deck crew have always asked if I am happy with the way it is tied down. If not they redo it.

P & O tend to use proper tie downs (well n the Dover - Calais route anyway) and on the few occasions I have gone into Zebrugge and Dunkirk they have used proper tie downs.

Good advice about 1st gear, it becomes second nature when you have done it a few times ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. kirkwall32

kirkwall32 Active Member

What do you mean by" Santander you wont have a choice " Jimbo ? Do you have to do it yourself or do they have to do it for you, Im thinking of taking the bike to Spain myself next year.

9. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Not sure what method they use on that particular ferry, there are a a few different types of securing that I have come across:

1) Front wheel holder - ride forward into a front wheel holder, and they tie the handlebars down to secure it.
    Sometimes they can get overzealous and ratchet down the handlebars with such force as to bend the bars. The forks will be compressed. I do not like this system - stay and watch them and make sure they do not ratchet it down too hard.

2) The X pattern strap down - bike on the side stand, or centre stand, and two straps are used diagonally across the bike, with a big cushion (and large paper towel ) between the straps and the bike. Brilliant system. I have been on the fast cat with 3 meter waves, stuff crashing all over the place, cars moving about, and still this system kept the bike upright.
    If it is on the side stand make sure they do not ratchet it down too hard with all the weight on the side stand. When they have finished give it a nudge to make sure that there is not too much pressure on the side stand.

I do this quite often, coming from Guernsey, and I have only had a couple of instances where I have had to say something. Generally they are very good.

I have also found that the crew will secure your bike for you, but you have to release it out yourself.

Have fun !

[​IMG]IMG_0933 by 660 Mattie, on Flickr

Knew I had a picture of that rough crossing somewhere :D (about three years ago coming back from Poole )

[​IMG]rough crossing resize by 660 Mattie, on Flickr

#9 Mattie660, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Tonic

Tonic Active Member

I went to the TT this year, first gear, rope over the seat (tied to the footpeg and pulled towards the handrail. No issues.
    The only problem was caused by myself, not sure how or why, but I put an elastic band around my front brake and for some reason, I've had a warped disc ever since. My advice, don't do it, just put it in first gear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Nowt wrong with ya Disc, it's one or more of the bobbins that seized on the disc which gives the impression of a warped disc.

Twas probably a wet day and your caliper pistons were also due a service so when left under pressure they weren't uniform across the disc and have caused a few bobbins to pull over half a mm and seized in that position.

Good condition and serviced brakes would never come to any harm what so ever by having a zip tie etc on the lever for a few hours.

12. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Pretty much do t for you no questions asked.... Either way, doesn't matter, it'll be fine. Just go!!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Don't think this could warp a disc dude.

14. neilfb

neilfb New Member

Warped disc...Never! I have a parking brake on my Pan which locks the brake lever and I use this to apply the brakes when using the ferry or Chunnel. Never a problem. Before I fitted the parking brake, I used a tent peg rubber band around the lever and grip. I suppose the only problem would be if it was left on for days on end in which case the brake piston seals could conceivably be deformed, probably only temporarily so.

15. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I did the Santander a few years ago. And re not trusting them it's their jobs. They know better what to expect. I just made sure they used plenty of of my extra microfiber cloths to cover any areas that might rub.
    But no need they had this already sorted.

As said make sure the bike is in gear. Steering lock is on but they will remind you about this anywho

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

Get them to ratchet from the opposite side to the stand ( unlike Matties appears to have done ) that way they are not putting the strain on the side stand.

17. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Good idea.

I stand this side of it, put your hip up against the bike, and give it a bit of a shunt to relieve the pressure on the side stand. Not too much, just a bit to take the pressure off.

[​IMG]All aboard by 660 Mattie, on Flickr

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. Geoff Paxton

Geoff Paxton Member

Many thanks for all your replays good info.

19. Geoff Paxton

Geoff Paxton Member

Not long had the bike, off of the back of this thread have noticed that the side stand is bent within an inch of its life. Just as well I had a look. Many thanks could have got expensive.

• Like Like x 1