See & be seen

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ChrisOzzz, Dec 30, 2012.

1. ChrisOzzz

ChrisOzzz Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  2. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

I don't know if my technique is any good at all but I've driven a car for 21 years and ridden a bike for nearly 5 and, touch wood, I've never had so much as a parking dent. And as anyone who's been in a car with me will profess I don't exactly hang about.

I only give it some beans when I can completely see what's ahead of me. I don't hammer around blind corners and assume that it'll be OK. This was noticable when riding with a friend of mine a couple of years ago. He'd not long passed his test and was hammering around corners at speeds that I wasn't comfortable at. Not because of lack of corner confidence but because I couldn't see what was around the corner. I felt like a bit of an egger at the time because here was this young pup with 6 weeks riding experience dropping me back at a lot of corners but I wasn't surprised to get a message off him a few weeks later saying that he'd come off and done a rib in. He sold the bike a couple of months later and hasn't ridden since.

As I say I noticed that he was dropping me where we were in very tight, twisty and unsighted sections of road but once we got onto the A6 north towards Shap which is wide open sweeping corners with no visual obstruction I left him trailing way behind. It's all about vision for me. I don't like what I can't see.

The rest of the time I ride around assuming that nobody's seen me. I ride towards junctions assuming that the cars are going to pull out, covering the brake and washing off speed before I get there. Concentrate on looking at the driver, not the car. If the driver doesn't look at you and stay looking at you then assume the worst.

• Like Like x 3
  3. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

That is an interesting article and makes good reading.

4. ChrisOzzz

ChrisOzzz Active Member

I agree BoroRich, where you ride fast counts. and what you can see in front of you makes all the difference. The right type of road open and flowing are the best.

I keep thinking about having a go at the AIM not that my usual type of blasts would be their kind of riding but I'm sure I could learn allot.. Has anyone on here done any advanced riding?

Happy new year
    Ozz