selling vehicles on ebay..tips?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MPJ, Jun 8, 2015.

1. MPJ

MPJ Active Member

In the push to find me a Repsol, I'm looking to sell my daily on ebay in the next few weeks. Then possibly my Yamaha too.

Any tips ?

Is a classifieds ad best ? Then cash on collection ? Or electronic bank transfer ? Want to avoid PP fees.

What about test drives/rides ? Cash in hand first ? Proof of insurance etc ?

Thanks all. It's for a good cause ;)

2. -steves-

-steves- Active Member

Sound to me like you have everything in hand, though would try autotrader too as it "tends" to be a marginal better class of buyers and less chancers. If you can sell it locally it by far the best way, even try we buy any bike as its a lot less hassle than eBay though obviously you will take a hit, but probably only as much as eBay anyway.

Classified add, ignore crap offers (which is most if not all), ask for a tiny little under what everyone else is and expect no one to offer what its worth, IMO its the worst way of selling a bike, tried it a number of times without much success as eBay is just full of half wits and chancers!

Test ride only with cash in hand and proof of insurance.

NEVER accept PayPal for a vehicle, its all too easy to get it taken back off you down the line, a mate lost a decent motor like that, lost nearly 10k on it as it went through PayPal as a stolen credit card!

3. MPJ

MPJ Active Member

Thanks for that, very good info. I have read never to accept any offer until cash in hand as if it falls through you will have to re-list etc

Regarding cash, any worries regarding fake notes ?

4. -steves-

-steves- Active Member

Always a worry, but no more than anywhere else, the downside being so many to check if they pay £1000 or more in £20 notes, generally people are in a rush to sell and a rush to buy so they can be easily buried in the middle and over looked.

5. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Large amounts of Cash should be taken to your Bank long with the Buyer.

Get Buyer to hand over the Dollars to the Cashier and get them to count it and verify it.

Once paid in and certified cosher then hand over the Drugs, simplees! :D

6. Shutty

Shutty Well-Known Member

Money as said above, a few hints though;

Really good pics, nice weather, high quality pics (iPhone etc is fine). When I was looking I was amazed at how many poor pics, small low Meg pics put people off,no matter how good it sounded I just moved on to the next.

A pic of service books and receipts if you have them are always good.

Also amazes me how many people can't be arsed to put it through an MOT saying 2mths MOT, but should fly through, if it should fly through get it tested

If a pic as anything that remotely looks dodgy sort it or retake pic

Plenty of info in text on what you have done to it

Never had an issue selling anything on EBay well before it expires.

7. MPJ

MPJ Active Member

Thanks. I'm the same when looking. There is a lovely Repsol on at the moment, states perfect paintwork...but it's filthy. I mean covered in crap, fairing, wheels, header. Clean it !!

Noticed in a few adverts "as per ebay rules you buy mine I buy yours" I'm presuming they are talking P/X ?

8. Dr.D

Dr.D Active Member

I have sold loads of bikes on ebay ( I got myself through uni buying and selling bikes on ebay ). Firstly price it right for the current market using "completed items " on ebay. Generally people are fine, and no problems. Be honest in your description, good photos, and be prepared for people to come round and say " you didn;t mention this that the other " and knock £200 off, but I figured, if I am honest and right in the description " viewing welcome before hitting buy it now, and no haggling when pick up " it stops it, or call their bluff, they have traveling to buy the bike, they are trying their luck and unlikely to leave without it unless your description was way off. Other than that, for me, auctions are too unpredictable, no one calls classified ( and there is no option to put them in a search ), so buy it now with offer, and in the subtitle write " all offers considered" ( do not set a sell at this best offer when setting up the auction) and do not decline the ridiculous "offers" of £100 as they are useful as "pending" to entice serious bidders ( people get "insulted" and decline them immediately, this is ridiculous... use them to your advantage). Hope this helps.

9. Dr.D

Dr.D Active Member

Also, write the title ( advert ) to attract people in this fashion to suit your bike , " 2006 Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade, 2 pr. owners, 20k, FSH, Excellent. All Offers Considered!" some adverts are just "2006 HONDA CBR1000RR". Make people excited to buy your bike.

10. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Here's my old ad for my Gixer. I got needled on the Gixer forum for putting too much information in the ad, however it sold as a classified ad the second time I posted it. £4k accepted for a 24k mile Gixer in February isn't a bad result. I accepted an offer £250 less than I wanted (when I actually offered it for £250 more than I actually wanted! :D) So I got exactly what I wanted.
    Make sure to include as many clear good quality pics in a nice bright location as you can. Being squashed up against the wall in your dark dingy shed isn't gonna cut it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261781562383

11. MPJ

MPJ Active Member

exup, great advert example , thanks. Clean bike too !

Dr D, not sure what you mean about not doing a classified advert, but instead using buy it now with offer ? Can you clarify for me, thanks. I think you can run a classified with "best offer" advert...

12. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Personally I prefer a classified sale and when selling my Gixer is was always shown in the search results. The benefit is its not an auction, you don't get charged for a reserve price as the sale price is the reserve, it's a fixed price to list it with no final value fee or tossers thinking they can purchase a high ticket price item and get a paypal refund. Also it can be set to run for 30 days so you get good coverage. I agree about the title tho, get as much info out there as you can, such as Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade, include things like not GSXR / ZX10 as people looking for one of them will also see it.
    I wanted a 14 Gixer 1000 but ended up with a bargain 09 Blade!!

13. MPJ

MPJ Active Member

Thanks again guys, just put my daily Honda civic on classifieds so I can free up some money for a Repsol. Anyone looking for a nice 2006 with only 33k miles ? :)

Hopefully an easy sale then will do the same with Yam, though I need to hang on to it until September for NCB. Which is a pain as there as 2 lovely bikes in local dealers right now !!

14. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Good luck, just don't be tempted to sell and let the insurance run to gain extra NCB as I've read horror stories about people selling then the new owner has an altercation and the previous owners insurance has to pay out the the insurance Co goes after the previous owner for incurred losses and all because the new owner had no insurance but the VEHICLE still had insurance!!!!!

15. MPJ

MPJ Active Member

Yes, thanks. I was worried about that. Did discuss it briefly in this thread
    http://www.1000rr.co.uk/threads/insurance-bennets.26088/

16. MPJ

MPJ Active Member

Car sold to 1st viewer, cash paid into bank there and then. Stage 1 complete ! Thanks for the tips guys..