Setting the suspension up correctly

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Remal, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

OK some people say its easy others that its a dark art.

I would like in the next few months to get the blade set up for me. As its on stock settings

Anyone suggest any good place around the south west to get this done

I'm thinking it's better to get someone who knows what they are doing to do this rather than a mate who just knows a little about it

thoughts?

2. goldie

goldie Active Member

defo worth getting done as the stock settings are far too hard for most
    check out Dave Moss on youtube, some great easy to understand sensible advice

3. JM1

JM1 Active Member

I don't agree with that at all, although it depends how much you weigh of course.
    I think the stock settings are on the soft side of perfect for road riding for a normal weight UK bloke (11.9 stone in my case).

The normal suspension setup method is to set your sag (google it), then adjust the compression and rebound damping to suit your preferences, riding style, etc. No dark art as far as I'm concerned and if you don't try it yourself, you'll never understand it.

EDIT - FFS, the forum is changing the word a g r e e to an emoticon?

#3 JM1, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  4. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Been reading about sag and so on so learning slowly. As for weight at 15st i'm a bit larger than the norm. But going to get used to the bike and see what a few adjustments to sort out the sag will help. well thats a start

5. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

Set the SAG to give about 30mm movement between on and off the bike. Had mine set up by Steve Jordan , near Dorking, so no use to you Remal, sorry.