Share search

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by dave d, Feb 14, 2015.

1. dave d

dave d Elite Member

My father in law is suffering from Alzhiemers and Karen is trving to put his finances in order in preparation for him going into care we have been told that the mother in law can claim 50% of his company pension and the threshold is £23500 after which they cant have anymore of his money she thinks he also has some shares is there any website etc you can go on to search for his shares plus any other things we may need to look at cheers.

2. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Locating the share will depend on how he bought them. A lot of people use brokers etc that hold them in an account, but the shares are held in a nominee account and so you would need to identify the brokers used. If he bought them direct then you would need to try and identify the relevant companies, or locate paperwork which should be sent out on an annual-ish basis.

His bank may be able to help locate dividend payments which would help identify companies that shares are held in, but you could also try contacting the Stock Exchange as I'm sure they deal with this sort of question on a regular basis.

3. shackbleep

shackbleep New Member

I don't think there is any sort of share register that would help you.

If you can find paperwork that shows what brokers or banks he used to buy shares, then you can trace things from there. Probably will need the help of a solicitor (well... I found I needed one when sorting some things out around my Mum's finances a couple of years ago)