skoda fabia 1.9 vrs advice

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by fez.57, Aug 4, 2013.

1. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

Going to look at 1 on wednesday. anybody know what things i should be checking to avoid buying knackered 1 ?

From reviews it seems these things are a little pocket, is it true

2. Givover

Givover God Like

Not a clue Fez but it seems that Skoda seem to collect the awards these days .Is there a Skoda Forum?

3. RichC

RichC Active Member

130hp engine just listen for excessive turbo whistles, excess vibration (dual mass flywheel) and egr valves probe to blocking on town cars. They are a good buy fly with a remap and chassis upgrades.

4. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

Yes there is giv i think i will go and say hello.

Yeh rich i have been advised to check the clutch and flywheel, i am looking at a remap, only stage 1 but it still takes it to 166bhp which is quite good

5. GappySmeg

GappySmeg Well-Known Member

And make sure it gets up to temperature... as with all performance diesels they only work properly when hot (90 degrees usually)... my mate's Fabia vrs was getting crap fuel economy for years, he thought it was normal, and eventually the DPF gave up... all because the main thermostat had failed some time ago.
    Caution: on many modern cars, the temperature dial on the cluster does not show the actual temperature, but an idealised view... so if the thermostat has failed and you're only getting to 70-75 degrees, you will not be able to tell this from the temperature dial.

6. navvy10

navvy10 Well-Known Member

Hey Fez my dad has one and is pretty much an expert with them and a few other Skoda models. If you have any questions fire away and I can ask him. He has the VAGCON lead to run a test through the OBD port which is always advisable to check for faults etc. software is free to download but cable costs a few bob unless you get a dodgy Chinese cheap one.

One thing you've got bang on straight away is that it is very much a pocket rocket that could rip up Tarmac quite happily ;)

7. navvy10

Also check out briskoda.co.uk he used to be a moderator on there and is still an active member. Very good forum!

8. navvy10

Full service history is a must and check it has been run with the correct oil VW50301. Very important that oil is used on the engines or you generally get cam issues later on, as my brother found out with his bora 1.9gtdi

9. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys and cheers navy that is really helpful. The car I am going to look at is a 2005 with 47k on it with fsh and recent cambelt. My main worry is clutch / dmf failure and as said making sure it has the correct oil

10. navvy10

Clutches tend to be pretty strong with this model so if you feel any slipping at all then walk away but I doubt you'd come across that unless buying off a boy racer. They do a high spec limited edition model that only comes in blue and has all the extra toys fitted as standard.

Check the seals are good around the rear doors as they have occasionally failed but only on a couple of models. My dad has the 07 model and it has proved to be a good addition to the garage which they have owned for 5+years.

If you are in the Cambridgeshire area at any time then I can run the diagnostic checks for you saving you having to pop to a dealer and pay ;)

11. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Clutch and dmf are a weakness on these.Check that it slips into all gears nicely cos the gearbox can be troublesome mainly on high milers though.Engine mounts can go because of the torque they create.Very good cars these, not alot of cars will keep with these up to 70 mph.Tyres changed frequently if hammered.Spin spin spin:D Good luck

12. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Or for more choice same engine with 130bhp in 02/03 golf gt-tdi cars. Good spec and nice drive, great economy too.

Just make sure it's def a 130 as many were 110/115.

Avoid the 150 as heard problems with that motor.

13. navvy10

My brother has the bora GT Tdi 150 and he had cam issues as mentioned above which they attributed to using the incorrect oil type. 2k to fix :(