Sods law....

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by CastrolCraig, Jan 13, 2013.

1. CastrolCraig

CastrolCraig Active Member

As you all know, im going racing myself this year, but ive helped a few lads out for years, either on the spanners or raising sponsorship.

But heres the arse....

When it comes to getting sponsorship for yourself, its far harder!

Any suggestions as to bike racing friendly firms who help out racers?

Yours, Confused of Louth.

2. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

We have a tooling company that's supplies cutters and what not to our engineering firm.

"WNT" They are a massive German company, but they already sponsor a few British riders. They just gave me a calendar for the year with nothing but bikes in it. Worth a punt

3. CastrolCraig

Sent them a proposal mate, thanks a bunch!

4. Alblade

Alblade God Like

What are you offering them in return for money - being really serious here look at it from their point.

What have you got to offer that other racers don't - where will be be seen with their logo on it, and the people at those locations likely to be possible target customers?

Think of the big sponsors in MotoGP - Monster, Repsol, San Carlo, DeWalt / Stanley - they are brands / products etc.

Do you write race reports which get printed with photo in any magazines / on-line? - have you a good social media presence (twitter / Facebook page for your raceteam where reports go) .

Trying to see it from their shoes and what R.O.I. they will get (Return on Investment) - I know in the past some have done 'put your photo / name on the fairing for £25' type deals which have worked - Also is it easier to get product than money? Perhaps a local butcher for BBQ supplies for the race weekends?

• Like Like x 1
  5. CastrolCraig

Hi mate, maybe i didnt explain myself enough in OP.

I currently do all of the above for 4 other racers, PR statements, website, twitter, sponsorship portfolio etc.

As Dave Miller of Bikesportnews said last year 'no other club racer has more coverage than you'

thats because im straight out there following races, with good quaity pictures and the riders always mention the sponsors on televised interviews, radio interviews etc.

My own effort wont be any different, currently having a proper website built, already very very active on twitter, have a monthly article with a major motorsports site, properly decal'd van etc.

I was just pointing out the difference between getting sponsorship for the lads i help and myself.

Seems 1 in 5 sponsorship deals come off with the other lads.

2 in 20 so far for myself so far lol.

PS, in regards to product sponsorship, already have tyre sponsorship from Mike @ Racespares Uk and lubricant sponsorship from Fuchs Silkolene.

6. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I feel that at the moment in this climate with everyone short of cash it's going to be much harder to get a sponsor

Hope you get some luck bud