Solar panels

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by dave d, May 6, 2014.

1. dave d

dave d Elite Member

2. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. sinewave

sinewave God Like

I used to sub-contract (Electrical wise) to a big firm who were doing loads of Solar for the local Authorities when the FIT (Feed in Tariff) were good.

They aren't up to much now as the Governments scaled it right back.

Solar is pretty dead it seems round our way, not that location should make a diff, so tread carefully.

The only way a company can offer a free system is under the so called 'Rent a Roof' scheme where by 'they' (the solar company) give U a 'free' system and they then reap the FIT payment and U get the electrical savings.

Trouble with that is that they then have a legal hold over your roof for a set number of years which will obviously be an amount that covers the payback of the 'Free' system and a profit element also.

If U want to sell your house in the meantime U then have to factor in the transfer of this 'legal hold' to the prospective purchaser or buy your self out of the agreement instead! :eek:

They look shyte on your house and you'll no doubt be responsible for their maintenance also.

Another major point they gloss over is the only Peeps who make any real savings are retired folk who can make a concerted effort to use this free electric in the middle of the day when you've half a chance of the sun being out in any force, most of us are at work at this time and use our peak loads of an evening and early mornings when the Panels are producing JACK!

Personally I would touch em with a Barge Pole! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  4. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

I read it and got the impression it was free :D

5. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I thought it was something like that but nicely explained.

6. dave d

dave d Elite Member

So Sine you only benefit really if your in and the suns out we are both at work all day,will see what they say if they get in touch.

7. dave d

dave d Elite Member

Just emailed me insufficient uninterrupted roofspace as they only do standard layouts of 16 17 or 18 panels and they don't customise panels to fit which I know to be bollocks as I have seen roofs with 10 or 12 panels!
    Well I tried to be green....

• Like Like x 1