SORN dec

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by bradt, Feb 2, 2014.

1. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Advice please.

My road tax ran out end of November 13, I didn't declare SORN. I have tried to renew on line today, but DVLA is stating I can't renew online, and that I have to go to a post office to renew. Will I be able to get a new tax disc to run from Feb 14 or will it have to be back dated to December 13, as I didn't notify DVLA that the bike was off the road ?

2. gRRandeelion

gRRandeelion Active Member

I think you may have already committed an offence by not SORNing or taxing the vehicle within 14 days of your previous tax expiring. That's my understanding from the V11.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gray

gray Active Member

Mate I got fined £60 for not sorn mine and then still had to tax from day it expired,expensive mistake

• Like Like x 1
  4. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Brad did you forget and have a letter informing you you had to tax or sorn or nothing at all?

as said since the laws or tax changed a year or 3 back you must have done the sorn or tax very close to the renewal

5. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Had the letter from DVLA, just didn't bother to SORN, I assumed that if the bike was kept in a garage and not used, I didn't need to declare. Thought the offence as detailed on the V11 would be using the bike on the road untaxed with a SORN dec

Just checked the DVLA web site Fine now £80 and back tax to Nov:mad:

Worth an appeal ???

#5 bradt, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  6. Jkaye

Jkaye Active Member

Wouldn't bother trying to appeal mate, the offence has been committed it's black and white tax it or sorn it , fail to do either and get a fine fail to sorn it and get a fine and pay back tax.

7. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Not worth an appeal as you could end up being fined a £1000 pounds minimum, am sure I read somewhere that when they first started sorn that if you hadn't taxed or sorn the vehicle after the second reminder that they could seize the vehicle

8. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Just re taxed and waiting for the fine to come through. Wont being making the same mistakeagain.Thanks for your information, I am a total idiot

9. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

This is all news to me so sorry you got caught out dude, but thanks for sharing as it will help myself and others not fall into the same trap !

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

You'll be OK Bradt, you live in Essex mate, the DVLA knows you all share a tax disc for when you cross the border line and venture out into the big wide world. They will just be pleased someone in Essex has paid up for a disc.

• Like Like x 4
  11. exfire

exfire Elite Member

Bad news Bradt but at least it is sorted now, £80 is not too bad, a grand would have been a lot worse.

These things happen, we all drop a ball sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Brad
    You'll need to take your registration doc to the post office and tax it from now. You no longer need to take insurance or MOT docs to be able to tax it.
    As for back taxing it you'll need to contact DVLA.
    Have you already had the fine or not?
    I do run a post office so I know a bit about this.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Another point worthy of a mention and may or may not relate to Brad. If you have a vehicle and it has not been declared SORN then you are also committing an offence by not insuring it.
    IE if it is not on a SORN then it must be insured. BIG BROTHER is very much watching you.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Went to the post office this morning with registration document and have now taxed the bike for 6 months. I will receive notification from DVLA with fine notice.
    I going to appeal, when the notice comes through, it's worth a stamp !

I had not cancelled the insurance policy on the bike

Any other owners out there who have not SORN their bikes within the specified time, SORN it You have been warned:(