Southern 100 2012...Story Of A Spannermonkey....

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by CastrolCraig, Jul 19, 2012.

1. CastrolCraig

CastrolCraig Active Member

So, ive just returned from the magical island also known as the IOM, spannering for my best mate, Gaz Evans.

He had done the previous weekends Olivers Mount races, but as they were saking wet it didnt really prepare him, Me and Gaz had both watched nearly every S100 vid available but it still doesnt come close to showing you how fast & bumpy the Billown circuit really is!.

just over 4 miles, covered in just over 2 minutes. uber fast. and proper bumpy.

The action started at the 2012 Southern 100 in preparation for a full assault on the Isle of Man TT next year.

Gaz was riding his P&P Racing BMW S1000RR, and he joined 32 other newcomers to the circuit when he lined up for Monday evening's practice. Despite early issues, including qualifying being cut short due to slideycars dumping oil TWICE, we managed a trouble-free opening night and looked forward to Tuesday night practice, qualifying and the following evening's races,

He was entered in Wednesday night’s eight-lap Senior race but unfortunately ended with a non-finish due to rear shock failure, the bitubo shock giving up the ghost after nearly a season and a half of racing, he pulled out at three-quarter distance while in a 13th

The following morning me and Gaz were out and about early to get scrutineered ready for the final race on the main day of the week - the six-lap Senior Support Consolation Race. On the opening lap there was a whole gaggle of S100 newcomers taking up space in the top ten and, as the race progressed, Evans was in a tense battle for third. For 4 laps p2 to p10 were seperated by 1.8 seconds, several riders came in with rubber on leathers from other bikes!

The timing sheets will show at the end of the race that second to tenth was covered by 10 seconds and ninth-placed Gaz was sandwiched between experienced road racers, Scottish youngster Callam Laidlaw and Portuguese Nuno Caetano, who was just over a tenth of a second in Evans' shadow. Fastest lap of the race for Gaz was just shy of 100mph and 19 seconds a lap faster than his qualifying time from Monday evening.

Doing his PR Thang, he had this to say....

"We went to the Southern with no expectations, looking for a finish and nothing else. It hit home what I had let myself in for on the first lap when Cummins came past me into Church with his tail wagging," said Evans.

"It's a solid step towards TT 2013 and it also showed us our bike preparation is spot on - apart from the rear shock failure on Wednesday evening the P&P BMW S1000RR went brilliantly. I'm now looking forward to Oliver's Mount this weekend and we are still looking at the Ulster GP as further preparation for next year, I'd also like to thank Pat & Paul Freeman as I wouldn't be here without them, and my vital other sponsors, HELD leathers, Racebikebitz, Smudged Tees and my entire team including Craig whos work on the bike this week has been immense!."

For me, it was a busy week, all the races and track time are at night (apart from thursday) and your taking the bike to scrutineering at dinnertime everyday, at which point everyone is held in a field, its prudent to wait with bike & gear! by the time youve checked the bike over post sessionn its nigh on midnight, its MUCH harder work for rider, bike & team than short circuits, but oh so rewarding, having someone like Connor Cummins & Ryan Farquar come up to you and say the whole team, Bike, Rider, team and presentation, has impressed them is a huge boost, also worthy to note we were the only newcomers to pass through scrutineering all week without a single thing being picked up, which is hard considering they are pickier than a picky thing AND the bike gets scrutineered after every session every day (3-4 times a day!)

A few Pics..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First ever lap....he said 'Fuck me thats lairy' Afterwards...

[​IMG]

Autograph Hunters!

[​IMG]

A certain Mr Harrison...

[​IMG]

Gaz (left) & Nuno

[​IMG]

The Weapon!

[​IMG]

Little Vid of the race start!

[​IMG]

One of them passing the team viewing area by the holding area...passing you at 180mph with a bridge just after!

[​IMG]

And a nice bit of PR!

Evans makes successful roads debut at Southern 100 | Bikesport News | News

Finally, i myself would like to thank everyone thats helped out, Richard at Racebikebitz, Guy at Held Leathers, Dean at Smudged Tees, David Miller from BSN, Mark Parrett, Nuno, Kev at KS Performance, trigger at JT's performance centre, Dave Hickman. without you guys Gaz wouldnt be able to claim a top ten on his roads Debut!

Anyway, Gaz we travelled back the friday night/sat morning, and Gaz went straight to racing at Cadwell with Michelin cup, and this weekend is back at Olivers Mount for Cock O the North!

• Like Like x 2
  2. CastrolCraig

A few more...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

quality write up mate - good luck to Gaz in the future.

4. y2blade

y2blade Member

Get him on a Honda.

5. CastrolCraig

It has been discussed, but to be fair the big Beemer is dialled in nicely and with a genuine 202bhp at the rear wheel from a superstock legal motor we would be 30bhp down to start with, If a proper spec 2010 blade comes up then I think it would be an option, but it's all down to his sponsor.

6. scunnylad

scunnylad Active Member

Great write up Craig

I was over for the S100,a great meeting.
    You're right the IOM is a magical place