Sports bikes - how to ...

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Remal, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

....... keep them clean and do they get many stone chips

I've not thought how is the best way to keep a sport bike clean. never having one with much fairing on. So how's best to give it a good clean? I gather taking the fairing off is the start. How much of a pain is this. I'm not talking about every week wash removing the fairing?

Also I have been looking at ventureshield again as it done a great job of keeping the triple stone chip free and protecting the paint work. So anyone have ventureshield on their sports bike?

cheers

4 days till I get the blade and counting :not_ripe:

2. stigg

stigg Active Member

Never used ventureshield but I just give mine a good polish in the winter, then wash it everytime I get back from a ride then give it a good polish about every third wash, seems to work ok. Some fairings can be a pain but do it once and get the idea and it's a doddle after that.

3. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

Not too fussed with Ventureshield as fairings are very easy to clean and polish and wax and never had a problem with stonechips. Its the rest of the bike, chain, swing arm, under tail etc that take a beating in the bad weather. Wouldn't worry about taking the fairings off to be honest, they are supposed to be a pain.

I have just discovered a product called S Doc 100 cleaning gel available from Hein Gerricke and i highly recommend it for the areas mentioned above :)

Not long now till you get your Blade eh? If you're anything like me i bet you can't stop thinking about it lol!
    R

4. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

yea very excited. I think a few coats of FK1000HP or Dodo juice supernatural is in order first

As I said I'm a little OCD with detailing.

5. viper_biker

viper_biker Active Member

To be honesty, Honda plastics aren't that strong and stone-chips are inevitable. I even seen a lad on a 2010 CBR have a stone put a decent sized hole in the nose cone from an oncoming stone.

For the nose, you really can't beat the Motografix stuff for stone chip protection. I had it on my K5 and it was great. I have brand new front and back motografix bits of the 06/07 CBR that I never fitted though as it didn't match the bike, and you'll be the same with a Repsol bike.

I ride my bike all year round and keeping it clean is easy, keeping it immaculate is impossible. A good wash once a week and it'll look good, polish once every couple of months when I'm feeling like spending the time on it and strip everything once a year and re-grease it all.