Standard exhaust heat shield silver to black

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Brym, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Brym

Brym Active Member

I don't like the silver heat shield with the colour of my bike so today I changed it to keep me happy until I buy an aftermarket slip on exhaust. I like it black so it blends in with the bike rather than standing out.

Not sure if the high temperature paint will be very hard wearing?.. time will tell.
    Can always get it ceramic coated if not or buy a carbon cover but hopefully I will have a carbon exhaust by then.

Might powder coat my footpegs black to finish it off. Not looking forward to getting the passenger ones off though. Will make up some plates when I do that so they can be taken off easier in the future. Bit like the Sato racing ones.

[​IMG]

2. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

That looks nice mate!!!

3. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

does look very nice indeed

4. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

How's about some rearsets instead of powder coating OE pegs?

I find it made the bike much better. The OE peg position was no good for me.

5. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Looks good.
    The paint on that cover will probably be fine. It's the bit below (which contains the cat) that normally starts discolouring and flaking off.

6. Brym

Brym Active Member

I might try rear sets but its more money and I have to find some with lots of adjustment as I am tall and don't want them any higher but a bit further back might be nice? Would still need to do the passenger pegs though as I do use them. Seen OE pegs powder coated so long as there not rushed they can look good and like a factory finish.

It looked a bit crap a few days after getting it to be honest from the salty winter roads but not flaking off yet. Shame the finish lets it down as I think the standard exhaust is not to bad for OE but hopefully get a nice slip on at some time

7. flatstickHRC

I'm 6th 4 so got the rearsets for more room

I measured before and after and they're the same height but can go back about 70- 100mm giving much more room.

Can't use the furthest rear position with standard exhaust though. Mine are set in middle and it's loads better and big easier to turn with rearsets.

My bike has maybe 1200 miles or so and the heatshield is tarnished already. Think it's off the road tar or something.

8. flatstickHRC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My rearsets by SES. Got short flat pegs but can get long or round

9. Brym

Brym Active Member

Cheers worth considering rear sets then when I can afford them.

Took the bike to work today and the long way back home the heat shield seems fine after its first proper heat cycle, no strange burn marks etc it is rated to 550 Deg C. I might get some of the metalic black paint to finish it off as its matt black at the moment I think it will blend better with a bit of a shine to it. Hard to see in the picture but I notice it close up. Happy with it other than that.

10. jorge13

jorge13 Active Member

Anyone has the colour codes for the HRC ?
    Thanks in advance.

11. JM1

JM1 Active Member

The colour code should be on a sticker under the rear seat.