Strange engine light fault

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Yorkshire Tyke, Jan 28, 2024.

1. Yorkshire Tyke

Yorkshire Tyke Elite Member

Hi everyone

Got an engine light on after fitting a hm quickshifter and changing my rear indicators. I've had the airbox off and obviously disconnected the coils to fit the quickshifter. Also had the lhs fairing panel off. I've checked all connections and can't see anything loose. Tried a battery reset too.

When the bike starts it runs quite lumpy on idle whereas before it was idling smooth.

I've not got my service manual to hand. Any ideas?

Cheers

Mark

2. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Hi - unlikely to be the indicators, but you should do a temp swap back of the connections to confirm they’re not the issue. You haven’t mentioned what year your bike is? Just for everyone’s info and some issues affect some years.
    Check you haven't disturbed/disconnected any vac pipes or hoses in lifting the tank etc.

3. Yorkshire Tyke

Thanks Bootham. It's a 2011 sorry forgot to mention. So seem to have sorted the dodgy idle. The sensor inside the left hand airtube - it wasn't orientated properly and one of the tubes was pinched. Still can't get the light to reset tho even with original indicators in. It's a just 2 slow flashes, then a gap, then repeat. Idles fine now up to temp no problem.

4. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

5. Yorkshire Tyke

Certainly does. The help and information received on this forum is excellent!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Has the light cleared now?

7. raphael

raphael Elite Member

Google the how many flashes mate as the slow ones go upto x10 and that will tell you exactly what the fault is.
    You can also reset the ecu pretty easily on them too.

8. Yorkshire Tyke

Can I ask what these things on the intake are for?? Is it to bypass the airbox on start up or something?? I've traced the hoses to cylinder 1 on the left side and it also goes to a vacuum chamber of some sort in the nose cone. I'm considering doing the PAIR mod to as still has the original gubbins...

Attached Files:

9. Yorkshire Tyke

No it's still on mate...

10. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

It’s part of the gubbins you’ll get rid of in deleting the pair system @CharlieR85 provided this useful post with photo

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yorkshire Tyke

Since I already have the fairings and airbox off is it worth just removing all this stuff when I do the PAIR mod? It would be nice to just be left with airtubes and some room under the airbox. The fairings are a bit of a pain to get back on with all this stuff... I've been lucky enough to mainly work on blades in track trim so it's normally a few dzus fasteners and hey presto- the whole thing springs open, fairings, airtubes the lot

Edit: I've just realised that's exactly what you said in your reply haha