Tablet PC?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BoroRich, Aug 28, 2012.

1. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Can I ask the tech-savvy denizens of 1000rr.co.uk what they think of this idea?

I'm thinking of changing my phone because my HTC Desire is starting to show its age. I do however get a bit pished off with the fact that modern smartphones seem to lash through their batteries at a furious rate, meaning that you enjoy your film, music, game or whatever and are then left unable to make phone calls because your phone's flat :D

My idea was to get a simple mobile that can make calls, send texts, do email and even some simplistic web browsing AND has a battery which lasts for yonks, and then to buy a tablet PC to use for the other stuff. Most of the time when I use my phone wirelessly from web and stuff it's at home when I can't be arsed to boot my computer up or for entertainment on business trips.

Can anyone see any glaring errors in judgement in this strategy? :D

Also any tablet suggestions that aren't an Apple iPad would be welcomed.

2. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I love my Ipad, my daughter has one and they are bloody good. worth googling for info on the Android ones as there are loads on the market at the moment. Some good and some bad.

I'm off to Costco later and if I remember I look at them for you. they always have few at a good price

• Like Like x 1
  3. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

That's how I use my tablet from a non disclosed fruit based company, Rich. It sits on the arm of the chair beside me and gives me instant access to the net as and when I need it. It is not a computer though and comparing to such gets frustrating when you find it wont do this and wont do that, but for surfing it's hard to beat.

I don't know a thing about Android OS so can't offer you any advice there other to say, as yo're already au fait with it from your phone it might be worth you looking that way in order to get up and running quickly. Although, I'm more anti Apple than Snow White, the one we're not allowed to mention was a bit of piss to pick up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

I can't fault the IPad. As stated just for quick browsing and email. MrsB uses it too and she's a worse technophobe than me.
    Great to take to work on evenings, I load the telegraph up and that me sorted for my reading. I can also tether it to the iPhone and check up on the forums without the need to squint.
    What it dose not seem to like is anything google? I.e the map lee put up for the Wales trip. Responds very slow and shuts down at random times?
    You can load films/music and take it away on holiday with you, what I can't get into though is the books, the papers are fine but books don't seem the same.
    Down side, it don't fit under the blades seat ;)

5. Si.

Si. God Like

iPad.

6. viper_biker

viper_biker Active Member

LOL, Apple fanboys everywhere. As a non-Apple based tablet, I use the Sony S Tablet and have had it since it launched in the UK last September. The price point was identical to the iPad (both a £399 for the 16gb model) and I opted for the Sony due to a number of reasons.

1. It's not on the restricted iOS
    2. DLNA feature
    3. It's a remote for anything that's operated by IR (TV, radio, amp, even your curtains if they have a remote and it learns the buttons from your remote too)
    3. I use it for the 'normal' tablet things like books, movies, music etc that all of them do
    4. Expandable memory
    5. Mini-USB connectivity

And many other features too. Being that it's Sony though, it is loaded with some of Sony's own software, but I don't both with it that much. I'm not foreign to Apple's stuff as I've been an iPhone user for the last 4 years and wouldn't have another phone about me, but pound for pound, the S tablet (for me) is better than the iPad.

• Like Like x 1
  7. vino

vino New Member

Get yourself a Blackberry mate. All the benefits of a smartphone, without having to charge it twice a day.

I love my iPad (and I was one of the naysayers that didn't get it at first), but it gets right on my moobs that it doesn't support flashplayer...and you don't realise how many websites use it, until you buy an iPad.........but.....the Vino household couldn't be without it, or something similar now. Also utter genious for films & games when your travelling/flying etc.

Take a look at the new Google Nexus and the Samsung Tab......then go get an iPad.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Muffking

Muffking God Like

+1 for the Blackberry.
    Its not the smartest phone, but i use one for work and only need to charge it twice a week.

Tablet wise the worlds your oyster. Just decide if you want to go the Apple or Android route.

9. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Well I've been out after work and got a Samsung Galaxy Tab. The 7 inch one. I did think about getting a Blackberry. I need a phone that can do email well for work. Any particular Blackberry?

10. Fletch

Fletch Active Member

Well I sat on my Samsung galaxy s3 all day on Sunday.... Surfing in a poor signal area and still got over 18 hours out of it.... Us for about 25 quid you get a Samsung battery charger and genuine battery

So 36 hours in total.... If I use the phone normally I can get over 40 hours and if you did some power management you'd probably get more

11. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

What they got at Costco today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

off topic I want this

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Mine's a 9700 Bold if that helps

• Like Like x 1
  13. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

I also want that :D

14. Alblade

Alblade God Like

I have a basic, pikey Andorid Ice Cream sandwich tablet, that is a bit bigger than an SIII - it takes a micro SD card, so doddle to load stuff onto it.
    Dont use it loads, but it appears to work, and cost £75
    Search A1CS on amazon - was not on yesterday (has a red frame) but they have others - CHECK it has google play store access - not all Android tablets do, and iplayer / youtube / flash support is included. Also has HDMI out build in.
    Used it in gym tonight as spinning tutorial and worked fine with an hour of biking videos played while it sat on the bike display.

15. shanes

shanes Active Member

i have a black berry for work i think they are crap , totally overrated i have an iphone as well, its 100 times better half of the emails that come to my black berry i have to forward onto the iphone to open anyway .

as for the tablet , IPAD all the way my wife has the latest one and my daughter has her old one , they are great bits of kit

• Like Like x 1
  16. ddc

ddc Member

Can`t go wrong with a samsung galaxy , I have the 10.1 gt model and its fantastic. Battery lasts for ages , It has flash player , youtube etc all preloaded. it also has which was a big bonus for me is Polaris office which supports micrisoft office so I can do my excel based timesheets :D
    Has a kindle app too , music player etc etc , all drag and drop stuff when plugged into the laptop. Simples ;)
    Yeah It`s not a computer but I didn`t buy it for that as such , Just purely something I can use on the move for music , movies , etc and like I said that polaris software is great.

Just my 2pence worth ;)

17. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

they are soft toys that talk, you got Yoda, the millenium falcon etc....

18. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I've got one of these.

[​IMG]

19. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

If you're talking about the kinky-looking brunette with the lip ring then I envy you :D

20. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

No that is me.........carrying my rucksack......