Telephone Phishing Scam

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by vino, Mar 26, 2012.

1. vino

vino New Member

I just had someone try & scam me over the phone.

I got a call from a guy pro-porting to be from 'the Windows technical department', calling to tell me that the 'computers I use on my broadband have corrupt files that are corrupting my computer daily, and that he was calling to "help" me fix the problem'.

In a nutshell, he was trying to get me to download something to help 'fix' my computer, but this would undoubtedly be malware (a computer program like a virus that collects and passes on personal information for illegal/criminal purposes). As soon as I started questioning him and asking some basic questions, he put the phone down & was calling from a withheld number. Clearly for the less technically inclined of us, this may seem plausible, so beware!!!

If you get a similar call, I would strongly advise you to tell whoever calls to jog on, and put the phone down.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Dave-uk

Dave-uk Active Member

Cheers for the info mate

3. lillywhites

lillywhites Active Member

That one has been doing the rounds for a couple of months now...we had a call two weeks ago.....just like stringing them along for a while with fake enthusiasm..... all good fun if you've got a few minutes to spare:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, my dad had this one a month or so back. A far eastern accent saying he was from Microsoft in Wales?

My old man would normal swap his cow for some magic beans so this kind of thing worries me a lot. However, and much to my shame, Dad made some aspersions regarding the gentleman's background and parental status before hanging up. He's quite old school, I'm afraid.

5. vino

vino New Member

My Father-in-Law is a sucker for phishing - especially when his "silly bank emails he to say they've lost all of his personal details, passwords & pins, and would he mind filling them in again"!

Twice he's done it & twice we've managed to get it sorted before he's lost any money or been defrauded.

It's dangerous out there!

6. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Had that call a year ago and told them to feck off as I did not have windows which I do. In they was talking crap

Scamming feckers should just die

Soz pisses me off. And I've had a few beers

7. alexg56

alexg56 Active Member

haha! had these calls too. great fun! strung the guy along (indian accent) and pretended i was typing in the code he was giving me. then in a thick scottish accent told hin if i could reach down the phone i,d ram the laptop up his a**e. now f**ck off and die!!! polite but firm thats my approach:) also use the same approach to door callers during election canvassing/
    on a side note, anyone noticed that loads of indian parents calling their boys westernised names nowadays? in the last few days i,ve had a gerry, brian, david and so on. all with an accent straight out of it aint half hot mum.:rolleyes: ok i,m having a very grumpy monday.

8. vino

vino New Member

Indian call centre staff are told to adopt common names from the country the calls come from, to make like easier for the callers (just while they're at work).

9. alexg56

alexg56 Active Member

never had any problems phoning a call centre based in india, in fact service usually very helpful, its the ones constantly calling me, all from claims/accidents type groups, or scam merchants.

10. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I find that! almost entirely, not only are far eastern tech help centre operatives polite, courteous and brilliantly efficient, but they have a far better command of the English language than I, ashamedly, could ever dream of.

#10 kpone, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  11. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

V, I just remembered what you do for a living. There's an irony in there somewhere...

12. vino

vino New Member

Irony is that training kicked in before I'd even thought about stringing the guy along.

3 questions & we were done.

Sad thing was that it wasn't even properly done.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

13. gixerthou

gixerthou Active Member

just say you use Lion

they get v confused and piss off

14. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

They could be genuine tech support and get confused if you tell them you use Lion.

15. gixerthou

gixerthou Active Member

tech support wouldnt just ring and say im trying to fix your computer

Microsoft have never been know for being or warm and fuzzy

look at the vista mess