Thatched roof and grade 2 listed questions

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Freedom of choice, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

Do we have any builders or better still roof thatcher’s on the forum?

We are thinking of moving house to be a bit closer to my lads but still have quick access to the fast commuter trains into London and came across this gem. We really like it but I have heard and read some horror stories about owning grade 2 listed and worse still grade 2 with thatched roofs. Are the story’s true and if so should we give it a very wide swerve?

I would be a shame to give up on it as its location is in a lovely village and fits the bill being closer to the kids and still easy access to the London main line. It also has the benefit of reasonably large grounds and plenty of open and closed garage space. The present owners have spent a fortune and it’s in very good order.

I have attached a few photos so you can see the kind of property and roof etc. Any advice you can give me would be gratefully received.

Cottage 3.jpg

Cottage 1.jpg

cottage 2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mga32

Mga32 New Member

We live in a grade II listed building in Milton Abbas. Worth speaking to you local conservation officer as I think restrictions vary, depending where you are. It is not a problem, unless you plan to alter the property in anyway, it is possible, but probably not worth the hassle. Make sure the thatch and roof supports are all ok, ours was done a year before we moved in and cost the previous owner £24k as the roof beams had gone. The house will always be damper than anything modern and tend to need constant fetling as there is always something cracking or leaking! If all is ok, just make sure the ridge on the top edge of the thatch is good and it should last ages, around 25 yrs for wheat thatch and much longer for reed. Surveys are quite hard as they will always find loads, but our house has been here since 1760, so hopefully won't fall down in my lifetime.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Best hope these lads don't head down your way :eek::eek:

20160303_162531.jpg

4. Mga32

Mga32 New Member

The birds do try and nick it occasionally, but normally they give up with the wire netting over the top. Would have to do a bit of "pest control" they wouldn't come back!

5. Freedom of choice

Thank you so much for your full and informative advise.

6. Slimwilly

Slimwilly Member

yeh, buy it man,, make a forum free campsite there

7. Freedom of choice

It's also got a converted barn that can park 11 cars, and that doesn't include the main garages, somewhat sadly I don't think we are going to be making any offer on this one. But, never say never. Time will tell.