That's the end of it

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by flatstickHRC, Sep 11, 2011.

1. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

I haven't posted for a few days due to a little incident.

On thursday afternoon while out for a ride a car pulled out on me having not looked, while on a country lane. he saw and panicked, and stopped dead blocking both lanes leaving me nowhere to go except over his roof.

i managed to slow down quite a bit and not lock the front wheel and basically did a stoppie into his side door.

i went over the roof and witnesses say i summersaulted twice and landed on my leg and back.

my back protector and leathers/boots/helmet saved my life. no doubt. i should not have got away with this one.

i was on the roadside over an hour and eventually went to hospital in the ambulance. A broken foot, metatarsals, dislocated and broken toes, crushed testicles, cracked pelvis, twisted knee and other hand neck and back are my injuries.

I was in theatre the same night to get my foot opened up and toes relocated. 5 attempts were made to do it while awake and they wouldn't go. it was the worst agony i have ever experienced. they eventually decided to do it under anaesthetic.

i haven't seen the bike since but it was shattered all over the road. a definite write off. hopefully i will get it all sorted out soon with his insurance so i can get on with my new life being a dad.

witnesses have all stated i was not speeding or riding dangerously and the car was 100% at fault. the driver has also admitted he was totally to blame.

the police have been great with me so far and have been really helpful and i want to thank all the ambulance staff, nurses and surgeons at the RVI in newcastle.

I'm now house bound for the next 4 weeks till i get the bones healed and stitches out and will i miss around 3 months of work. i can't drive my wife to hospital when she goes into labour and basically the sport and hobby i love has been taken away from me. my 8month pregnant wife is now having to do everything for me. not ideal for either of us.

im gutted but glad to be alive and have decided that enough is enough and the risks just aren't worth it any more for me.

so thats me finished with bikes.

were due a baby in 4 weeks and there is no way i should have survived that incident so I'm quitting while I'm ahead. the roads are just to dangerous these days.

2. damodici

damodici Active Member

Shit!

Glad your ok mate, sounds bad but hopefully one day you'll feel like a ride again. Must admit, tracks are safer and I've thought that for sometime now.

Riding in the UK is scary, every time we go Germany the drivers are just so aware, the fucking idiots we have on our roads make my blood boil

3. Givover

Givover God Like

Fair play my Friend .This is the shit we all dice with everytime we go out, glad you are still alive Dude and good luck with the Baby .Keep in touch on the site .All the Best Mike.

4. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

I hope all your injuries heal well and quickly, maybe you'll be lucky and the baby will come a bit late!
    It's a shame about giving up biking but put in the shame situation i'm sure we'd all feel very similar, if it was a choice between riding and not seeing my family again I wouldn't even have to think about it for a second.
    Maybe a track bike could be the answer in the future if biking is deep in your blood!?

5. flatstickHRC

i stopped riding on the road in 07 to club race and do track days.

i had no intention of riding on the road but was tired of travelling the country for track days. i decided to get a road bike and calm it down and just enjoy it which i had up till last week...

6. fisher

fisher Active Member

Thats aweful news mate, sounds like you were very luck to escape with the injuries you had, It takes a man to fess up and say thats it, I dont blame you mate, you kids are far too important than messing around on the bike.

I wish you luck for the future mate, by the sounds of you'll make a great Dad, stay in touch on the boards though dude, your advice is always welcomed by myself and others.

7. Si.

Si. God Like

Christ on a bike....

Glad you are relatively ok...it sounds as if you where VERY lucky.

8. Si.

Si. God Like

Edited to add, if you want a contact number of my mate who runs his own claims department, then just let me know...top bloke and he'll get you top dollar.

9. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

That sounds like it could make a good sticky to be put somewhere on the forum!

10. flatstickHRC

Yes that would be useful if you would pm me thanks

11. Si.

Si. God Like

doing it now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. scratcher

scratcher Active Member

Dude I am happy your alive able to post. On other forums its never long between killed biker/member posts. Remenber people ride safe PLEASE...

• Like Like x 1
  13. stigg

stigg Active Member

Never say never, had an off years back like yours and gave up for a few years, partly because of my third boy as well, but gave in and got another bike and have loved it ever since, My eldest boy has always rode but he had a near fatal accident at work after he fell through a roof and onto a concrete floor, massive head injuries but made it and still rides so you never know whats round the corner, maybe in years to come your'll come back to it! Good luck with your baby and hope all goes well for you all.

14. Givover

Givover God Like

Please let us know the state of play if for say you where wearing the Kelver type jeans which no doubt don't connect to a jacket .The reason i ask is this question has popped up recentley and a good, to the point answer, may put this to bed.

15. gixerthou

gixerthou Active Member

sorry about your news - wow

hope the baby and getting better goes well

sorry to see a biker leave !!!!!

Have fun with the new sprog - it will take your mind of your other baby

16. flatstickHRC

thanks everyone

i was wearing arlen ness kangaroo 1 piece leathers, dainese back protector and chest protector, alpinestars gp plus gloves, alpinestras super tech r boots and shoei x spirit helmet

all did their job superbly. can't say enough how important decent gear is.

17. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

Bloody hell ken!! First thing is your ok beat up but ok, where did this happen? So sorry for you bud especially after you've just got it back as well, bad luck that ken, real bad luck. Your wife will manage there great at it, it'll be hard but am sure you'll manage great, shit we never even got to see each other man! I nearly lost my brother In 1986 he lost his leg on an rd 400 in birtley and spent 6 monthin the queen Elizabeth so I know what you'll be going through ken. Keep your chin up and see what the future brings mate you might change your mind and want to ride again. Life is shit at times I know, my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 years ago and it frightened the shit outa me, she's getting over it but it has made us both realise that life is to be lived!!!! And that's just what were both doing now. And if I'm taken then f-ck it that's the way it'll be, but at least I've done what I wanted to do in life. Ken you take care my friend and give that little un a load of love mate. All the very best Tony.

18. flatstickHRC

thanks for all the kind words and well wishes.

19. djfleming22

djfleming22 Active Member

Hi Ken sorry to here about your off, i am like the rest of the folks on here glad to hear that at least you will mend it might take a bit of time but you will get there, yes your right about the roads they are dangerous but so is life and sometimes you have to live for the moment and at this moment you want to hang up your boots so fair play and when you decided that you want to go back to the bikes it will be here waiting for you ..... so for this life moment look after yourself and wife and new born baby when it arrives and hopefully we will all see you sometime when the moment is right

#19 djfleming22, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  20. rocket

rocket Active Member

glad your still around to tell the tale mate. hope your on the mend soon and enjoy your new arrival. must admit since i,ve had little ones its certainly slowed me down as lifes more precious. take it easy buddy!