The State of the roads

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Givover, May 10, 2012.

1. Givover

Givover God Like

Having had a run into Wales at the weekend and also running around to work ect i for one will be glad if they do the Tar and Grit method this year .I never thought that i would ever say that having been caught out more times then i can remember but anything has to be better than nothing.:mad:

2. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Jeanette's just got back from a parish council meeting where they've been discussing a large hole that's opened up on one of the main roads in the village.

Apparently, they've got it down to one of two causes. Water undermining the road base. Or.... An unexploded bomb from world war 2.

Remember, before you choose, reader that I live on a flood plain and it's been pissing down for as long as man can remember.

3. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Got to be the bomb then!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

They spent a week with one side of one of only two bridges over the river Exe for commuters just laying the 'special' yellow 'anti skid' dressing not so long ago. By the time I went home on the day it reopened it was all in the gutter, blocking the culverts and spraying the cars in shrapnel. What was left was so loose it turned the 'anti skid surface into a bloody skating rink. After 7 days of road closures.

????.....

5. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

As its you Jimbo. I'm going to let you have another pick.

I'm gonna feel a right prick if there's a big bang at 3:00 in the morning now.

6. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Yes we have the odd bas pot hole, crack etc... But not really been that bad. Was over south to mid Wales and thought the roads over there were bloody good

7. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

Is it the Bomb Ken :)

Jimbo is so clever I am going to copy his answer, how can I go wrong !

8. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, the village of Exminster survived the night.

One in the eye for Adolph, eh!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

well if its not a WW2 bomb, it could be a WW1 one??

10. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

You never know Jimbo, you never know.

The truth of the story is actually funnier than the joke.

Apparently, a member of the said parish council remembers an unexploded german bomb in the middle of the village being found at the bottom of a hole once before.

Said hole suddenly appeared, with the offending item in it, almost 70 years ago to the very day. Coincidentally the morning after the people of the village had watched the Luftwaffe bomb the shit out of Exeter in the distance. It was her observation that both holes look suspiciously similar to each other.

If she's right there's a Do17 pilot out there with a lousy sense of direction but an uncanny will to complete his mission.

• Like Like x 1
  11. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

The roads are quite good round here compared with last year. there is the odd patch of gravel here and there since the rivers have decided to turn back into roads but appart from that all is good

12. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Same as Fez, really. Not surprising really since we're not far away from each other. Roads look pretty good and they've even resurfaced long sections of the Helmsley road which is a bonus :)

13. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

What annoys me is the govt should use the revenue from road tax ,Petrol/diesel tax and fix the bloody pot holes etc.I pay £465 a year road tax for one car and and £74 for the blade which is a tenner a week and I'm driving on roads that are on par with poor european countries.A bloody disgrace!!
    Tax the foreign lorries coming in and give our transport an even chance to compete.Less accidents and safer roads.
    And another thing fix em properly!!!
    Rant over.

• Like Like x 1