This really sends out the wrong message

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by T.C, Feb 23, 2017.

1. T.C

T.C Elite Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Its disgusting quike frankly, sends out the wrong message completly, sounds like as long as you need your licence to avoid hardship, you can drive as you want without fear of losing it? 62 points should mean a ban and a retest before gaining it again, after all, new drivers are on probation for 24 months and in that time if they gain 6 points its a retest on both theory and practical....62 points makes a mockery of the so called "Justice" system in the uk :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

It's a complete joke. If I was caught tonight doing 160mph on a deserted dual carriageway for a very short distance, despite a clean record & being a fine upstanding citizen...I'd probably receive a custodial sentence.
    Now..I'm not saying that's wrong, far from it......
    But it would be one hell of a bitter pill to swallow sat reading about his points in HMP!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

Unfortunately it's nothing new.
    In 1981, as part of my Fire Service Station Officers course we had to sit in on what was supposed to be a Brewster's session in the magistrates court.
    Unfortunately everything was running late and we ended up sitting through a normal court session.
    Case 1. Driver (travelling rep) caught speeding at 102 on the M4 fined and banned.
    Case 2. Driver ( company owner) caught speeding at 130 on the M4 fined, not banned as he told the magistrate that without a licence he wouldn't be able to find work for his employees and would have to lay them all off.
    Totally unfair imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Like that millionaire football player a couple a years back who said if he was banned he wouldn't be able to drive around the country to find a position at another club...so was just fined etc.
    Maybe us bikers need to infiltrate the Magistrates & restore order :cool:
    I quite fancy banging my gavel & shouting Take him down & whip his feet severely :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. T.C

T.C Elite Member

Was that at Newbury Magistrates by any chance? The inconsistancy sounds about right for them who cover part of the M4. Maidenhead covers the other end and they have always been super hard by comparison.

I used to try and avoid booking people within Newbury jurisdiction as you knew that very few would get anything more than a slap on the wrist and a token fine. Whereas Maidenhead, (covers the M4 from junction 12 at Theale up to junction 5 at Langley) you knew that drivers would get clobbered big time for the same offence.

Did a guy once for failing to stop and report a crash on top of junction 8/9 one night. Went to court and he pleased not guilty despite good evidence, and Maidenhead slammed him big time. 3 year ban, £5,000 fine, and this was back in the 80's.

That said, he did hire a QC to defend him at something like £300 an hour back then, for all the good it did him :)

Anyway, back to the original point, the courts are inconsistant which is the point I was making albeit badly.....

9. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

The kid that murders his parents and pleads leniency because he's an orphan...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

11. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

• Agree Agree x 1