Thunderbirds

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by T.C, Nov 14, 2015.

1. T.C

T.C Elite Member

Anyone a fan of the original 1965 Thunderbirds? If like me you are a child of the 60's, then maybe like me you grew up with it. I was fortunate enough to go to school with a couple of kids whose parents worked for Gerry Anderson and go to see them make the original programmes back in the 60's.

Well, they are currently making 3 new programmes using the original studios and techniques to celebrate the 50th anniversary.

I have just pre ordered the DVD as they will not be on general release, but if you are interested and want to know more, then have a look at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...1960s-recordin

• Like Like x 3
  2. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I've been following this story with more than a touch of nostalgia, and enjoyed the "Made in Supermarionation" documentary they made as a teaser to the new episodes.

I'm fortunate to know the son of one of Anderson's graphic gurus who, sadly, was quite ill as a child and spent a lot of time in hospital. Gerry and Sylvia visited him frequently when he was laid up and gave him, yes gave him, some of the filming models as toys, which he then left at the hospital when he was released fro the other children to play with. They also made a big show of asking his permission to name the lead character of their latest series after him, about another young boy that had to overcome adversity with bravery.

He's called Joe...

• Like Like x 2
  3. T.C

T.C Elite Member

Had a really good look around the studios today when we werre part of the guided tour before everything gets pulled down.

Really interesting learning how they made the new programmes, handling the models and puppets and seeing just how scruffy the sets are but how good it looks on screen.

Can't wait for my DVD's to arrive now P3140049.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. T.C

T.C Elite Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Thunderbirds was the best program of my childhood. Very sad to learn of Sylvia's death.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. T.C

T.C Elite Member

Well, after a long wait, the finished item in the form of a new DVD arrived yesterday and I spent a pleasant evening watching 3 new never seen before epidodes and re-living my youth of 50 years ago. :)

Was it worth the wait? You bet.

Lets hope that a full new series gets commisioned.

• Like Like x 2