Tipping in the USA?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Kevin1, May 10, 2016.

1. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

having just returned from a Florida Disney trip I noted that your dining receipt now suggests a tip of 18% or 20%. Is it me or are they just getting greedy.

2. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Probably not getting paid, like coach transfer drivers.

3. Si.

Si. God Like

We had options Upto 30% Kev. These days, 10% is shown as an insult to the waiting staff etc..

• Like Like x 1
  4. pete954

pete954 Active Member

I do not like this tipping culture. Gives unscrupulous bosses a licence to pay peanuts.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

5. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

I think in the States a lot of waiting staff are only paid what they get in tips with no money coming from management.

6. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

I don't tip

7. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Not greedy mate, it's local custom and that what Yanks tip, 20% is the norm and has been for as long as I can remember, and it's the way the staff make their living, without tips they starve.

Plus you have been in tourist central and a percentage of Brits have no idea about tipping and need a little guidance, where I work in the North East corridor you do not see that very often as it's mainly locals and few tourists and most people give direct to the server in cash even if paying by card to make sure the staff get what they need.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

What portion of the bill is Tax ?

In the UK 20% VAT on restaurant food, hidden in the price you pay. So you question the service charge of 10%, which is listed separately and discretionary, whilst paying 20% tax which is hidden and obligatory.

Anyway, straying into the realms of politics, which is best avoided !!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

When I was in new york a few weeks ago we tipped based on the service.

Good service we gave 20-25% and less for poor service
    Most of the service was much better than most places I have eaten in the UK. so was happy to tip

10. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Do you have to tip at McDonald's too?

11. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

If anyone is stupid enough to eat there................

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Never been in one in the US

13. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Well I never eat at McDonolds either, can't stand the place :( but bugger off paying 20% for a Tip for a waitress, the company should scrap tips and pay there staff more :mad:

14. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

best they find a different line of work then ;)

15. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

we eat all our meals from mcdonalds when we are in the usa .i spend the money i save from tipping, on beer and hookers... upsets the wife a bit but still 20% is 20%

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. iang27

iang27 Active Member

It's a bit annoying when you order a beer at the bar and the bartender only has to stretch his arm out to hand you it then looks at you as if you have two heads if you haven't left your change or a dollar or two on the plate they serve the bill on.

When a family of four have a bill of $80 it works out a bit expensive adding another $20 or so every night for two weeks.
    Works out around £200 plus another £200 to park your bloody car at the theme park you have paid £100's for the tickets already !

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

yep its true ... the parking costs for 2 weeks can nearly add up to as much as the robbing bastards charge you to park at the n.e.c car park for the bike show.

18. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Parking at Disney is $20 per day if you aren't staying at a Desney resort, soon adds up.
    I too don't really fully understand what we are tipping for. I know it is a service charge. I don't agree with it being % based. The amount of "work" they do isn't really related to the bill. Serving four people isn't much different from serving two people. The bill is more expensive with four people so the % for the service charge is greater, but is it really earned. I'm not sure.
    We dined at the Disney California Grill at the Contemporary Resort. The food was, as you'd expect from there excellent and the bill was $350 not cheap but worth it for the food and its location. The server we had wasn't very nice and only did what she had to and was very matter of fact about everything. She made little or no effort the make our special event, special. Based on the recommendation for tipping we should've tipped her around $70, about £50.
    On another occasion we went to a diner called Denny's, as we'd had it recommended to us many times. I explained to the greeter that we'd not dined there before and we come on recommendation. We were sat down and told the Meghann would be our server. Meghann was fantastic, she had been told we'd never dined there before and she took time to help us with the menu, even recommending cheaper dishes that she thought were better. Our bill was about $45, that's much less than the recommended tip at the other place. And four of us had dined for that $45. Meghann worked for her tip and she was rewarded with a decent tip far in excess of the recommendations. But it just seems so wrong that Meghann was working her socks off for peanuts and all the other woman had to do was turn up to get an over inflated tip. We dined at Denny's on two more occasions and asked to be served by Meghann. Rant over.

19. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

Apparently the tip does not only go to the waiter. it is split between the chefs, washer uppers ,bar staff etc according to what i have read on trip advisor. so the tip for 4 people is going towards the preparation /serving and cleaning up of the 4 meals. I know what you mean though.It does add a lot to the cost of a 2 week holiday especially if you like a drink . There are some bars in vegas where you can get a bottle of beer for $2.00 and are expected to pay the bartender $1 per drink as a tip . I have noticed in some of the posher dives in Leeds they give you you change at the bar on a saucer hoping that you will be too embarrassed to take it . Yeah right... a Yorkshire man leaving money behind... no chance!