Too hard for B roads

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Carl, May 31, 2011.

1. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Hello there
    Having just changed my 929 for a RR5 the first thing I found is that on standard suspention setting are far too hard for my local B roads. I want to soften the suspention but keep its ballance. Does anyone know how to do this? i know how but not the combination of settings required? Does this make scence??

Carl

2. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

Back off the compression, try it untill it's too soft, then back up a bit. Do rebound after that. Best bet is get it set up by the experts, but don't tell em you are doing trackdays or it will be too hard!!!

3. slowr1der

slowr1der Active Member

4. GSP

GSP Active Member

Have you looked in the book and returned it to factory setting first?

The chances are a previous owner has messed about with it, with no real clue what they are doing.

5. JM1

JM1 Active Member

If you're happy with the overall feel of the bike except for being too hard, just reduce (turn anti clockwise) the front and rear compressiion and rebound dampings by 10% each and see how that feels (you'll need to check the current settings first to work that out how many turns that is of course though).

I would return it to factory settings first though.

6. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

I don't find mine harsh at all. It's firm yes but the damping feels very controlled for road use. Like others have said defo check it's set to factory settings and go from there

7. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for the help, I,ve adjusted back to standard settings and I'll soften by 10% relative to the number of increments and see how I get on? I agree with flatstick its not that harsh at standard and the bike handles well, however, I have a slight issue with my middle aged back and I'm not ready for a motorized sofa just yet, so I need to go softer?

Kind Regards all.

8. Bats

Bats Active Member

Having just upgraded from the rr7 which i had for 2 years i would say the best mod you could do is defo send your forks to maxton new springs and internals to suit your weight/riding style best 400 notes ever ;)