Top End Rattling

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by RepsolBlade, Jan 24, 2011.

1. RepsolBlade

RepsolBlade Active Member

These are quite a noisy engine, and by all accounts, if they are quiet, then thats the time to worry. There is an generous amount of play in the bores, due to the tolerances required when in full heat mode! I was initially concerned, but after speaking to many people a lot more knowlegable than myself when it comes to the 1000RR. I bow down!
    Mine does smoke a little, nothin bad, but little puffs here and there on full tilt! again a trait i'm led to believe. My old fell has a Gixxer1000K8, and mine trounces his, especially midrange! Just keep the oil level topped up and regular changes. I do mine every 6 months. She's only done 10k from new!

2. CastrolCraig

CastrolCraig Active Member

I am a fully acredited Honda Institute technician, and having worked on lots of them i cant say ive heard of them being overly noisy.

in regards to the smoking, cant say mines ever done it or the others i regularly go on track with, if its overly noisy and smoking slightly i would be tempted to get the valve clearances checked asap, either that or its been run on extremely poor fuel at some point and has eaten away at seals/valves.

3. RepsolBlade

RepsolBlade Active Member

Been done Craig!!! Valve clearances fine all virtually as they came out of Factory! She runs a little rich due to the PC3 I think, but having spoken to many ppl and quite a few owners, they have had similar issues. Need to get it on Dyno to get set up right me thinks. But Having ridden a friends RR5, His sounded exactly the same as mine, so I might be a little picky, especially after coming from an RRV....Mouse like quiet! lol. Fuel wise, always run on Vpower, improvements are minimal but I know it's cleaner for sure!