Top yoke issue ?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Repsol Rob, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Repsol Rob

Repsol Rob Elite Member

I had little prang last week and bike hit tyre wall at mallory (not fast) but impact was mainly front wheel, although minor damage to bike as it fell over on right hand side, i ve noticed that the top yolk seems about 5 - !0 mm twisted to the right whilst keeping front wheel straight, is it possible that the top yolk can be twisted ? and out of alighment with the bottom yolk ? impact was nt at speed but could top yolk get knocked out of alighment when it fell over ?? Any advice would be appreciated.....cheers i ve ridden bike since at speed but nothing seems to feel at odds with handling etc ?

2. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

I would remover the top yoke and get it on a flat surface to see if it is actually twisted , Hopfully it just needs loosening , straightening up and re torque to spec

• Like Like x 1
  3. Repsol Rob

Repsol Rob Elite Member

will have a closer look over weekend cheers, i dont mean twisted inthe same sense as your suggesting although i won rule anything out ? when you look down at it whilst running in a straight line everything is a small (5mm ish) to the right....? does this top yolk lock into alignment with the bottom via any splines ?

4. fisher

fisher Active Member

I would have thought the clip-ons would move before the yokes twisted mate.

5. dan.1moore1

Well the claps are obviously bolted through the middle so it should be the case that one fork tube has pushed up in the clamps, If the actual clamp looks to be higher on one side also then i would say they have bent.

I think it defiantly needs to have its top clamp off to check it is straight and then get the bike on a rear stand, Trolly jack under the headers and get the weight of the front so that you can loosen the clamps and line it all up tidy again

6. abv

abv Active Member

There's something weird happening. What happened to this thread ?

Top yoke issue ?

7. dan.1moore1

This 1 was actually posted first... lol i thought they was by different people. i was talking on this one last night then today looked at the other thread and thought it must be by another member .... iv seen a few double threads lately

8. abv

abv Active Member

It's strange that it's gone but we can still see it.

Nevermind

Here's my thought on the matter

Most likely the forks are twisted within the yokes. Get the front end supported some how, I use a rear paddock stand and scissor jack with a piece of wood under the headers. Release all the bolts clamping the forks into the yokes and they should straighten themselves.

9. dan.1moore1

Totally agree and certainly the best method to rectify the problem

10. Repsol Rob

Repsol Rob Elite Member

Will try all suggestions over weekend , many thanks guys for all advice.... yes i posted twice by mistake ! lol