Touring Virgin!

Discussion in 'Touring' started by chicken0365, Jul 14, 2014.

1. chicken0365

chicken0365 Active Member

Going on my first ever tour in September, just a short weekend ride to Charleroi, Belgium. Apart from normal weekend away gear, clothes, toiletries etc what else will I need. I don't want to overdo it but then again I don't want to leave something behind I really should be taking. If I'm not careful the list could be endless, I'm thinking along the lines of passport, holiday insurance, breakdown cover, euro's, chain lube, wet weather riding gear, etc etc etc
    I'm pulling on your experience and hopefully will compile a list of 'Must Take'
    Looking forward to your comments.

2. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Only experienced my first tour over the water last year.
    Thefirebloke & I took 17 days around the Spanish/French Pyrenees & the Picos De Europa with Jase & Alblade jumping in & out for 6/7 days each.
    I took way too much stuff.
    But from the list Camera and a tyre weld/puncture repair kit is well worth adding just in case civilisation is a bit thin on the ground.

Ooh, & a bank card, I read somewhere most garages shut on a Sunday evening around those parts & the automated ones dont take cash? Although I could be corrected on that as I may have dreamt it :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. chicken0365

Thanks Garyb, puncture repair kit already on list but camera and Drift HD just added. Thanks for your contribution.

4. M3NTALIST

M3NTALIST New Member

A good one that I got told was to trade spare bike keys with one of your mates, then if either of you lose one your not f@@ked.

Andy B

• Like Like x 3
  5. chicken0365

Great shout Andy....its made the list.

6. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

Take half the amount of crap you think you'll need. Puncture... get the breakdown ins man. If it rains dry your stuff in the Hotel ...Etc Etc. You'll enjoy the ride much more if you can see your bike under the luggage mountain.
    Mike.

7. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Maps! Always have maps of the areas you are going.... Sat nav are great when you can check they are sending in right direction and roads you want to ride. But can also go wrong ;)

And riding 2 hours in wrong direction to the same name of another place isn't fun trust me :(

Michelin ones off mapsman are well handy too as recommended roads are highlighted so you can pick up some great local roads you might miss.

• Like Like x 1
  8. PDS

PDS New Member

As above, I take a map and a have a little compass, on 2 occasions I have been let down by sat navs, they are great and have their place but sometimes old school works

9. Bart

Bart Active Member

I always take a small med kit, a bit of duct tape and a few cable ties.

10. Fudster

Fudster Active Member

Travel adapters and chargers for you electrical malarky .... second skin tops for when you're riding which lets you pack less Tshirts for chilling after a day out, wearing one a couple of times won't hurt :D .... I always pack a disc lock even if only for peace of mind .... Something to tie the brake lever back for when it's on the ferry (makes it a lot more secure when tied down, thats if you're going by ferry) .... E111 card (nearly forgot that a few times now :rolleyes: but always remembered just in time :D )

11. BladeRR8

BladeRR8 Active Member

Do people adjust there chain when on tour.

I plan to cover 3000 miles so its going to need doing but obviously usually have a paddock stand and the correct tools which aren't going to be available on tour.

12. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Only need a 10 mm and 12 mm spanner! Certainly doesn't need to be on a paddock stand mate.

I've either stopped at a bike stop and asked for a bar and socket for the rear wheel in past when I've got caught out, or this year Dave slung a small bar and socket in the kreiga - not one out of 8 of us needed to adjust our chain :)

13. BladeRR8

BladeRR8 Active Member

Cheers for the reply. The main problem as you say is packing a 32mm socket and bar.

What mileage did you cover without any adjustment.

14. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Bout 2200 I think, usually do about 3k though and sometime needs doing.

What luggage you taking? Small bar with socket on should fit in a us30 no probs and actually takes up hardy any room tbh

15. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

We did 2000 Miles couple of weeks ago plus a lash around the Ring, I didn't need to adjust. If I were you just take the socket, anyone will lend you a bar/ torque wrench. It's a funny thing but I find small car garages more happy to help for free than bike garages, I suppose the bike guys see you as a job.

16. BladeRR8

BladeRR8 Active Member

Cheers lads some.great tips and much appreciated.

17. Iain

Iain Active Member

The Customs lady at Portsmouth got a shock when she x-rayed my Ventura bag a couple of years ago, it had a 32mm socket and breaker bar at the bottom of the bag ;-)

Check with the rest of the group, you don't all have to take the same stuff, and much will depend on the weather you come across and how old your cian and sprockets are.