Toyota GT86

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by stevebetts, Nov 24, 2014.

1. stevebetts

stevebetts Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of buying one of these and seem to remember someone on here purchased one a year or so ago.
    If they are still on here it would be good to hear a bit of a review.

2. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Remal mate
    Lovely car

3. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I have one, well I bought it for the wife but use it more than her.

They have just released a £22.999 version which has less on it but if your on the look out for new look about.

We have had ours 3-4 months from new. Yes lots of others will say for the money u can get this or that but we love ours and have never looked back. We had 2 large cars ( 7 seats on both) so downgraded the S max which in all honesty was not a good car.

The 86 is more of a 2+2 but there is room for adults in the back just as long as it's not a long trip. the boot is large for the size of the car and the wife was not sure if it was big enough for a family of 4. but it is.

the style is great and I love the looks. the wife gets lots of people taking notice of it as you don't see many about.
    The seats are uber comfy and I did 540 miles trip to a from Anglesey in Oct. After the 260 mile trip there I could have done another 260 miles so it's great for long distances
    Running in the engine is not fun. under 4k for 1000Miles !! but now we have added 2k on it it's starting to loosen up. It's fun, quick, comfy and I get 40MPG on the mway and have averaged 33MPG since we got the car. that includes lots of max rev drives ;)

Plus it's not something you are going to see every day and I hope this means the price will not drop and they will become a icon like the AE86.

I went to Anglesey for a Drift event. The car did not go on track but it was the only GT86 there. and there was loads of rare AE86 at the weekend.

lovely car, fun to drive. there has been no drawbacks. Plus Super (it will run fine on Regular) is onlt 124.9p ltr at the moment

• Like Like x 1
  4. stevebetts

stevebetts Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Remal. The car is just a toy for me really. The wife has a Kuga that is the main family car and caravan puller so space etc isn't an issue anyway.
    I will more than likely wait until next spring as I don't want to sell my Z4 in the winter (people tend not to want to buy convertibles in the winter).
    Am I correct in thinking its a boxer engine?
    The only criticisms I have seen in reviews is that the engine has no power below 4K. How would you comment on that?

5. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

yes a Boxer engine, as for no power under 4k that's like most petrol engines. As most small engine cars are not Turbo changed you get lag. It's quick and fun. And there is enough power under 4k to get you moving quickly without having to spin the wheels.

I have been using this forum for feedback Toyota GT 86 Owners Club - Forums, Reviews, Pictures

it's not as active or as good as this place but for specific info it's the best GT86 forum out there.

I plan in the next year to add a throatier exhaust. WORKS wheels so I can fit the summer tyres to these and Winter tyres to the OE wheels. Looking at a Supercharger in the next few years for this

One great thing is there is loads of great mods out there if you want

Take a test drive and see what you think

• Like Like x 1