track day tuition?

Discussion in 'Trackdays' started by bob, Jun 4, 2012.

1. bob

bob Active Member

looking for some opinions on the likes of ron haslam racedays,california superbike school, chris walker race school? Anybody done any of these? I would like to before venturing on to track with my own bike! any recomendations and experience welcomed?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Milky

Milky Active Member

Just beat me to it.
    The wife plans on getting me on the Ron Haslam race school for my 50th birthday later this year. Be interesting to get feedback from those who've done it :)

3. bob

bob Active Member

it seems expensive for 3 x 20 mins sessions on track! where as chris walker race scholl is a full day for £299! I think the california school is about 400 for the day but thats using your own bike! And being in the North east of scotland it would be easier for me to travel somewhere and use a bike provided!

4. bob

bob Active Member

Anybody?

5. Givover

Givover God Like

I did the Ron Haslam school at Donny it was a few years ago now and athough i was happy with the day can't say i learned much except that there would have been a chance of making a C**T of myself if not for strict 2 to 1 Tuition. As i have only done 1 trackday i can't comment much further but i think the question should be (Value for money ) A Race School or the free instruction on a track day.

6. Bobmg

Bobmg Active Member

I have been on the Ron Haslam school , I enjoyed the day to be honest , ended up on a one to one as the lad I was with bottled it a bit and went off on his own at a steadier pace , One of the rules on this course is you have to do it on a 600RR in the first instance , then you can do the Fireblade within two years of the first course

7. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

Never done any myself but i would say they are all good so go for the 1 that gives you the most 1 to 1 time with an instructor

8. CastrolCraig

CastrolCraig Active Member

Track instruction? Only one choice. Step forward Mr spike Edwards, what that guy doesn't know isn't worth knowing. Oh, and he is one of only 2 ACU certified track instructors! Serious, don't bother with the rest, just go to Mike.

9. colsy_85

colsy_85 New Member

I was speaking to some guys a while back at an open pit day at caddy. They were all up there at the sharp end. I was parked next to them and got chatting. They had all done the California race school levels and couldn't praise them enough. They told me it helped their lap times and riding no end. I have heard mixed reviews of Ron Haslam days...I think you could probably get a similar experience with the free tuition you get at trackdays with people like no limits and focused for less money.

10. scooby

scooby Elite Member

indeed he is very good (got another day with at donny next month :) ) but he isn't cheap for a 1st time trackdayer.

however,if it's your 1st trackday,then get an instructer from the tdo as soon as you can.they will show you all the basics,assess your riding+skills(Or lack of ;) ),show you the "correct" lines for a novice.

best bit,they are free to use.

11. Only1Matrixxx

Only1Matrixxx Active Member

I have done up to Level 3 California Superbike School, and it is great... Expensive but great!!! I did it because I was new to riding bikes at the age of 30, and did not want bad habits to set in, or for me to crash early in my "career" and lose confidence.

So, all in all, I can't praise it enough either!! Thing is that I can (and probably will, in a few days,a s I am at work now) explain to you the 15 drills that they use to coach you into improvement. However, me saying these things is one thing, but being on track, riding with no brakes, trying to get faster and faster, and then the coach comes by, taps his tail piece and you follow him and he signals to you what you need to work on, is invaluable. And when the coach pulls up next to you, gives a thumbs up, then disappears within 2 corners, you feel good knowing you are improving... (Each day starts using no brakes, one gear, say 4th) This teaches you to set your corner speed without the distraction of hard braking and charging turns... As the day goes on you get to use more gears and more brakes, last session full brakes full gears... Each drill has a classroom session, then you go straight out to practice that drill alone, noone overtaking on the inside, very well controlled track time.

You get alot of track time per day, Level 1 is the real improver... People REALLY improve doing level 1.

First drill - Throttle Control - Throttle Control Rule number 1 - Once the throttle is cracked open, it is rolled on evenly, smoothly and constantly throughout the remainder of the turn. This stabilises the bike's lean angle and transfers the correct amount of weight to the rear tyre to maintain the suspension in it's most compliant range, maximising traction, even on slippery surfaces.

12. Swiss T

Swiss T Active Member

I have done a few sessions with the "intructors"; I think some a very good & others don't give a fcuk. In the time they have with you, they are never going to pull up trees; you more likely will be shown the racing line (which doesn't really work at lower speeds imo) & possible be given the odd tip about hanging off more etc.

Not done Ron Haslam but mainly heard good feedback; I does sound a bit like a day out with the lads compared to CSS.

I did 3 levels of CSS & would highly recommend level 1 to everyone!

If I had my time again, I would do CSS level 1 & then employ Mike Edwards or Nemomoto for the day; then its just practice.

:)

13. bongo

bongo Active Member

Good friends with Spike, he's helped me a fair bit over the last few years as my best mate and ex team mate is his nephew. Like Craig says, his experience is second to none and what he doesn't know isn't worth knowing. He is so good though because he can get that information across.