Trouble selecting 4th gear 954rr

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Snowcat, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Snowcat

Snowcat Active Member

Been having an issue noticed it 3 or 4 times on a recent ride out. When selecting 4th it occasionally misses leaving nice grindy metal noise, (is this what a false neutral is?). Seems to happen when going for quick changes where as when I'm slower and more deliberate it doesn't seem to happen. Was hoping someone on here could give me some advice as to what it might be.

Common denominators (not sure if this helps) recently changed oil (castrol 10/30 fully synth as recommended by Hunts Dealers) as it didn't look like it'd been changed in the last 5 years.

Chain seemed slack so I've adjusted that and though I haven't tested it properly I nipped it round the block and didn't encounter any problem.

I'm hoping that adjusting the chain has fixed it and the oil change is just a coincidence.

Any advice or ideas greatly appreciated.

Cheers chaps.

Steve

2. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Notoriously feeble 4th on 954's Steve. It quite often comes up in down side on the pros and cons lists for this model. Some say its the flexing from the overlong shift shaft that contributes to it, hence a lot of after market shift supports.

http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Shiftholders.html

3. Haggler ®™

Haggler ®™ Active Member

And make sure the chain is correctly adjusted when your sitting on it and not on a side stand/paddock stand.