TV Brands

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BoroRich, Oct 1, 2015.

1. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Can I pick the brains of the collective?

For years my Dad wouldn't have any other brand of telly other than Sony. Since flatscreens came out I've only had Panasonic Plasmas.

I'm thinking of chopping my 50" Plasma in for an LED as the Plasma is only 1080i, hisses and hums and generally consumes more power than your average eastern european village :D

Who's the boss when it comes to LED TV manufacture? Sony? Samsung? Panasonic?? Other???

2. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I've had Toshiba and currently have a Panasonic. My previous was a Samsumg. not had a problem with any.

My current TV seems very good with picture on blu ray, HD TV and games.
    I know Costco had a good range of TV's and where I bought my last few from

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/lg-49uf770v-49-inch-smart-4k-tv-lg-bp645-smart-blu-ray-player-186833

^^ Not bad for a 4k TV with Blu ray and under £720 plus 5 year warranty. if you can get a membership it's worth it

My TV is about 2 years old and 1080p. I'm not going to change until 8k or SuperHD comes out in the next few years. I never like to keep up with the jones and just buy a new TV when it's 5+ years old.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. GappySmeg

GappySmeg Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a "one size fits all" answer to your question... it depends on budget, how big a TV you want, and what you want to use it for.

For example, Toshiba do some great budget 1080p TVs, which are only let down by their upscaling engine being a bit pants... but if you intend to always feed it full HD signal (e.g. from HD cable, or your blue-ray player) the poor upscaling engine is irrelevant.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I will be in a similar boat in the not too distant. As most of you know I'm a bit anal about colour, which is why I've always bought plasma. If they're set up well, they're hard to beat and I've always felt LCD and LED have been lacking in the type of control I'm after, but the time has come to commit to, probably, an LED and, as yet, my research has left me still none the wiser.

I'm only just dipping into Blu Ray and what I've found there is that a 2014 Panasonic model seems to fit my wants more than anything in the new range. Go figure.

I'll be interested in what your research turns up, Rich

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Voleracing

Voleracing Active Member

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

I don't watch an awful lot of telly so I'm loathed to spend a lot. As I mentioned I've currently got a 50" and certainly don't want to go any bigger than that.

My current Panasonic plasma isn't bad at all. It just lacks a bit of crispness and the full HD experience. That's why I'm thinking of changing it.

If I buy one I'll be getting it from Richer Sounds. There's a branch not far from me and I've always enjoyed shopping there. The staff always seem very knowledgeable and keen to help you. Not always to punt you something you don't need either. If it's a little more expensive there I don't mind. Plus they offer a 6 year guarantee I think.

At the moment I've kinda decided on either this one.........

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/sony/bravia-kdl50w755c/sony-kdl50w755cbu

or this one.......

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue48h6400/sams-ue48h6400

• Like Like x 1
  7. Voleracing

Voleracing Active Member

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Nickw

Nickw Active Member

We were a Sony family through and through until a former colleague drew my attention to a 'which' report.

Yep, Samsung had started using Sony component parts. I got an LED Samsung, Smart this that and the other. It does all sorts.... Apparently....

Anyway, best telly I've had. I've used Richer sounds in M'Bro before. Great service.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Still at it

Still at it Member

Always had sony couple of years ago got a samsung great tv but will get the sony 4k next

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Have bought a LG 4k tv earlier this year and is a fantastic bit of kit for the money, upscales standard tv channels to HD and HD channels to near 4k , is 49 inch and they are less than £750 now.

LG make most of the competitions screens and components parts bar Samsung which make their own

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. BlackDevil

BlackDevil God Like

12. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Manufactures then it's Samsung and Panasonic

Retailers then use Richer Sounds, John Lewis etc

Should get a 5-6 year Warranty too

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Muffking

Muffking God Like

As Gappy said, what are his priorities. Size/Price/Features/Reliability?

Most leading brands have low end models to suit low budgets. Samsung are still selling last years H6400, so it's cheap. Panasonic have a range of budget TV's with what they call Essential Apps (i.e. vaguely Smart) CS300, CS520, CX400.

If looking for a Smart TV, I'd avoid Sony's Android TV it's pants, they even stopped sending them out to the Press as they get poor reviews. Samsung Tizen is on, but you have to set it up. Panasonic Firefox is straight forward and it the only TV to have all the catchup services through the guide (aka the new Freeview Play that's now being advertised on TV).

Reliability wise, Panasonic won the Which reliability award and generally come with a 5 year warranty (6 years through a Panasonic Store).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

They did have a part about TV's on The Gadget show last week.

Was HS vs 4K Vs 4K curved and for money and future proof it was 4K that won on picture quality, price.

Also for me it's about warranty. And why i buy from Costco. All TV's have 5 year warranty. Just google reviews on the best TV's and get one

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. neil.marsh.758

neil.marsh.758 New Member

I've always had Sony TV's and they've always been faultless. I've heard ( don't know how true) that there is generation 1 and soon generation 2 with 4k tv's. Some generation 1 will not play generation 2. Due to the high volume of information generation 1 will just blank screen. Don't know if the manufacturers would be willing to tell you if their sets will be outdated soon?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Thank you all for your input. I went to choose one at the weekend but when I got to the shop the picture quality of the TVs in there didn't seem to be hugely better than my plasma, certainly not enough to warrant a £600 outlay.

17. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

There are only a few screen manufacturer in the world Samsung and Sony (used to) being two of them. The screens are graded after production in terms of spots, lighting etc and priced accordingly and sol to various manufacturers.
    LED screen only refers to the back lighting. In terms of performance plasma has still got the edge in a couple of areas, like color rendition and brightness but a lot of disadvantages, power consumption being an important one.
    TV's do a lot these days. What I tend to do is compare specs, price and also decide what features I want. I would definitely suggest you consider network TV's and also the ability to playback media from USB storage

18. Muffking

Muffking God Like

I agree with the rest of what you say, although this statement only refers to cheap brands. The reputable ones not using their own panels have it made to their spec, this is how Panasonic managed to make a better OLED TV using an LG panel than LG could make themselves.

19. Punisher5964

Punisher5964 Active Member

I've had Phillips, LG and now Samsung and Samsung are by far the best.

Don't think ill ever look back.

#19 Punisher5964, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  20. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Depends on what you want. Panasonic are acclaimed to make the best TV in the world ever, if you have the money. http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...nds-on-with-panasonics-tx-65cz950-4k-oled-tv/

Samsung used to be the best selling, but now they don't have all the catch up services like Panasonic & Sony, don't have OLED like LG & Panasonic, and next year will be one of only 2 major brands still trying to plug away with curved TV's.