Tyre profile, 50 or 55?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by sinewave, Apr 4, 2013.

1. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Right then, not had much luck asking on other peeps tyre threads so thought I'd start a dedicated one!

Looking to sack off my Qualifier 2's soon and am torn between the Metzeler M5 and the Michelin PR3's, so that's one dilemma.

More importantly I've read various peeps have changed the rear profile from the standard 50 series to a 55 for a better cornering.

Can someone explain this in more detail, pro's and con's and especially from peeps that have done this ?

Ta muchly! :)

2. Givover

Givover God Like

I have changed to a 55 but as its been snowing since I can't really comment .i suppose all you need to know is Whats said in the Fast road tyres thread that's why I have give it a try.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dano28

Dano28 Active Member

When I changed to a 55 I found it sped up the tipping in part quite a bit as its a taller profile and helped with speed of change of direction. So they're the pros faster turn in and quicker to get on side of tyre as for cons I've not seen any...but will be sticking with the 55's for sure

• Like Like x 2
  4. wedgiewolves#223

wedgiewolves#223 God Like

Always run 55s on track as that's what the d211 and d212gp come in I find it tips in quicker just make sure if you have a tyre hugging hugger it could touch

• Like Like x 1
  5. exfire

exfire Elite Member

+1 on what Dano said, I will never go back to a 50.I noticed a big difference in speed of turn in and change of direction without any noticeable negatives. Have run them in Summer and Winter on the roads, but do not do tracks. I am more of a road racer type lol

• Like Like x 2
  6. Si.

Si. God Like

Does a 55 make the speedo run over or under??

7. sinewave

sinewave God Like

It'll run under Si as a 55 profile has a bigger rolling radius so will make the bike go faster for any given rpm so if the Speedo is correct at 50 series it'll read slower at 55

..............however if you went up a tooth on the rear sprocket you may well be back where ya started! ;)

• Like Like x 3
  8. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

55 for me every time!

A common negative often said is they loose a bit of stability at full tilt and at high speed, can't say I've noticed the difference in that aspect, handling certainly feels more responsive and def quicker turn in. All round better feel imo

• Like Like x 1
  9. Stimo

Stimo Member

im a 55

10. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Tried both. Prefer 55. Just feels more nimble.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

I do often wonder though if going from a squared off 50 to a new 55 exaggerates the feel and makes you feel like its amazing?

Bit like hacking off your f*cked up sportsmarts for new fresh s20's and thinking they are revolutionary?

Sure I'm a sucker for that tbh....

Although stock tyres are shit in my experience. End of. Lol

12. samd1985

samd1985 Active Member

Seeing as you're mentioning the PR3s, have you looked at the brand new Michelin Pilot Power 3s that are out? I'm going for these next as they seem to offer everything I need and I like to experiment a little with tyres.

As for 55 profile - I changed to them after my very first rear wore out and have never looked to move back to a 50. A noticeable improvement in cornering and more aggressive lean angles are possible due to the taller profile/more 'vertical' sides. I noticed how much further over I had to push the bike to get right to the edges in comparison to a 50.

Can't think of any negatives?! Do it - you won't be disappointed

Sam

• Like Like x 2
  13. Saul

Saul New Member

I run a variety from 180 x 60, 190 x 55 to 200 x 60. I have an aftermarket hugger that I had to modify to make them work. She is accurate and nimble on them all :). A 50 feels like a whale

14. samd1985

samd1985 Active Member

What's the 200x60 like?

15. Saul

Saul New Member

Really nice and still very nimble. I have GP211 set in the garage ready to rock ;) Confidence inspiring because of the footprint.

16. samd1985

samd1985 Active Member

Hmm... I think I may have to give the 200 a whirl then if you say it's pretty good

17. SpeedoX

SpeedoX Active Member

Just one note - check your insurance, you might not be covered if other than standard (recommended) tyres are used!

• Like Like x 3
  18. Saul

Saul New Member

Never heard of that being an issue in NZ

19. sinewave

sinewave God Like

I think the Pilot Power 3's are more extreme dry road tyre which will take hard track days in their stride.

Pilot Road 3's will be better in wet greasy conditions and keep most riders happy on the dry days.

Duno which would have the best longevity but that don't bother me TBH I just want a dependable tyre that won't have me off cause it's cold or aint so good in less than perfect conditions and from what I've read and heard that's the PR3

20. RedMacGregor

RedMacGregor Active Member

Nothing is ever a problem until you try and make an insurance claim. If they can find away out of paying up they will. My 50 will be staying as it's what is recommended by Honda for this bike even if we all know a 55 would be better.