UK motorbike licence

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Jim M., Aug 28, 2024.

1. Jim M.

Jim M. New Member

So I've read heaps of threads on getting a UK bike driving licence so that I can use my recently acquired Fireblade next year. Every route seems both expensive and time consuming.

I've been out of the UK since '92, with frequent visits back home, lots of rental car usage, but no biking except for the few miles I rode on the Blade.

I retire this week and intend to spend a lot of time in Ireland and Europe in general. The plan is to head back to N. Ireland in December and get my bike licence ASAP. Hopefully within two weeks.

As I understand it, first step is to get a provisional licence. First question... is that bike specific? I still have my pink paper car licence but my address has changed.

Then on to the CBT. That looks straightforward. I've ridden well over 100K miles on everything from a Honda 250 Rebel to my current Aprilia RSV4 Factory. I've done track days, and ridden in Thailand, India, and New Zealand. So not the typical CBT candidate. I expect the CBT to be straightforward. Might practise U turns though!

I did a sample theory test without reading any of the literature and passed easily. Failed the awareness test miserably. I am sure I responded to more hazards than I was supposed to. Needs work.

So Mod 1 and Mod 2... do I have to do these in sequence, or as a certified old person, can I go straight to the big bike licence?

Most conversations I've seen recommend taking days long training classes, but I couldn't find any corresponding to my situation of an experienced big bike rider.

I appreciate that the ability to get a bike down the road is not the same as passing a test, but I doubt that I need the intensive training that the schools offer. Is there another way? Do the schools offer a stripped down programme for experienced riders?

I'll be doing all this in N. Ireland. One reddit contributor wrote this a few months ago, but again, fun a starting point of inexperience... "Theory £30, Cbt £195, Lessons x2hrs £70, Off road test £35 + £85 for hire, Lessons x4 hrs £140, On road test £60 + £90 for hire, Total £705".

Do I really need all that training?

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Jim M.

2. DVK 66

DVK 66 Member

Hi Jim,
    I went through a similar situation as yourself a few years ago, sorry to say your right in the fact it's a proper faff on and quite expensive to have your granny teach you to suck eggs, I'm sure at your age and having passed your car test you should not have to apply for a provisional, and you will be able to get the direct access training/test. Good luck with everything, I hope you can get dates close together for you mods etc. And get the whole thing over quickly.

Regards, Davey.

#2 DVK 66, Aug 28, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2024
  3. Saqib

Saqib Active Member

Hi, you may not need all that training, but we all had to go through this to get a uk license.

This sounds about right to me:
    "Theory £30, Cbt £195, Lessons x2hrs £70, Off road test £35 + £85 for hire, Lessons x4 hrs £140, On road test £60 + £90 for hire, Total £705".

Back in the late 90's and early 00's, the test was too easy. Lots of crashes due to inexperience. The test is quite difficult (imo), but once you pass there is a feeling of satisfaction, and knowing that you can ride a bike safely. There was for me at any rate.

• Like Like x 2
  4. DVK 66

DVK 66 Member

Just to add, I presume it's the same in N Ireland as the UK, but the MOD1 is done in an enclosed locked area, your training school will probably book this for a practice go before you take the test. Don't think you won't need a practice because you can already ride a big bike, you will need to familiarise yourself with the layout and also some of the sections require you to get up to 30MPH if I remember correctly, so you will need to get a feel for the hire bike etc. Also they treat this area as if it's a public road so make sure you still cover your look back life saves even though it will only be you and the observer. Good luck with everything.

5. Broadie

Broadie Active Member

Probably best to have a chat with instructors in the area. You should be okay for timings with it being December / January. Don't forget you need water proofs.

6. Jim M.

Jim M. New Member

Seems like there is no real shortcut! I think I will start, as advised, by contacting a N. Ireland instructor.

Thanks for the guidance...

• Like Like x 1
  7. BlackDevil

BlackDevil God Like

Getting a UK motorcycle license quickly when you're over 30 involves several steps, but there are ways to streamline the process:

1. Provisional License
    • Apply Online: Start by applying for a provisional motorcycle license if you don't already have one. You can apply online through the GOV.UK website.
    • Eligibility: Ensure you're eligible. You must be at least 17 for a light motorcycle license (A1), 19 for a standard motorcycle license (A2), and 24 for a full unrestricted license (A) unless you use the progressive access route.
    2. Complete CBT (Compulsory Basic Training)
    • Book a CBT Course: Book and complete a CBT course. This is mandatory for all new riders and can be done in a single day.
    • No Waiting Time: There’s no significant waiting period after completing your CBT, so you can move directly to the next step.
    3. Theory Test
    • Prepare Quickly: Study for the motorcycle theory test using apps, online resources, or books. You need to pass this test before booking your practical test.
    • Book the Test: Schedule the theory test as soon as possible to avoid delays.
    4. Direct Access Scheme (DAS)
    • Eligibility: Since you're over 24, you can use the DAS to go directly to a full Category A license, which allows you to ride any size motorcycle.
    • Intensive Course: Enroll in an intensive DAS course. These courses typically last between 3 to 5 days and include both training and the practical tests (Module 1 and Module 2).
    • Fast-Track Training: Look for fast-track DAS courses, which aim to complete everything within a week.
    5. Book and Pass Practical Tests
    • Module 1: This includes off-road maneuvers like slaloms, figure eights, and emergency stops. It's usually done on the same day as your training.
    • Module 2: This is the on-road riding test, assessing your ability to ride safely in various traffic situations.
    • Use Test Cancellation Services: To get an earlier test date, consider using a test cancellation service that monitors and books earlier slots as they become available.
    6. Use a Bike School
    • Benefits: Motorcycle training schools can guide you through the entire process, including booking tests and offering training packages that bundle everything together.
    • Recommendations: Choose a reputable school with good pass rates to increase your chances of passing the first time.
    7. Post-Test Requirements
    • Bike Purchase and Insurance: After passing your tests, purchase a motorcycle and insurance. Being over 30, you might find insurance rates more favorable than for younger riders.
    Summary:
    • Provisional License: Apply immediately.
    • CBT: Complete in one day.
    • Theory Test: Book and pass quickly.
    • DAS Course: Take an intensive course for fast-track training.
    • Practical Tests: Use cancellation services to speed up test dates.
    By following these steps and using intensive courses and cancellation services, you can potentially get your full motorcycle license within a few weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jim M.

Jim M. New Member

TYVM for this summary. It clears up a lot for me.

9. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Have you checked if anyone will insure you on a Fireblade if you've only just got a UK license?

Your experience in a different country may not count for anything as far as the insurance company are concerned.

Worth checking.

10. BlackDevil

BlackDevil God Like

11. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

All our insurance is going up in the UK unfortunately.

12. Jez

Jez Senior Member

To me if you have a pink license ( I am still using mine) you will just have to send it off for address change this will cover for a motorbike provisional, Did you pass your car/bike test before

13. Jim M.

Jim M. New Member

I did manage to get a short term policy when I bought the bike. Four days, as it was a flying visit. Cost a small fortune though. I'll check with that company. Their hangup was my US licence.

14. BlackDevil

BlackDevil God Like

You can exchange your US driving license for a UK driving license, but there are specific conditions and steps you need to follow:

1. Eligibility: You must be a resident in the UK and have a valid US driving license.

2. Time Frame: You can drive in the UK with your US license for up to 12 months from when you become a resident. After that period, you must exchange it for a UK license to continue driving legally.

3. Process:
      • Fill out the D1 form ("Application for a driving license"), which you can obtain from the DVLA website or most post offices.
      • Send the completed form, your original US driving license, proof of ID (such as a passport), and the fee (currently £43) to the DVLA. You may also need to provide a passport-sized photo.
    4. Considerations:
      • The exchange is usually straightforward as the US is a designated country for license exchange.
      • If your US license has expired, you might not be able to exchange it and would need to apply for a UK provisional license and pass both the theory and practical driving tests.
    5. Waiting Time: The process typically takes around three weeks, but it can vary depending on the DVLA's workload.
    Once your application is approved, you'll receive your UK driving license and your US license will be returned to the issuing authority in the US.